You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 269383  

Print Page



© Mr Terry Abbiss

IoE Number: 269383
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL,
  OVER STOWEY, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Terry Abbiss
Date Photographed: 05 January 2003
Date listed: 29 March 1963
Date of last amendment: 29 March 1963
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST13NEOVER STOWEY CPOVER STOWEY VILLAGE1/122Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

ST13NE OVER STOWEY CP OVER STOWEY VILLAGE 1/122 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul 29.3.63 II* Anglican Parish Church. First recorded incumbent 1144. C14/C15 tower, much rebuilt by Richard Carver in 1840, further late C19 work. Roughly coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, slate roofs, crested ridge, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel with north chapel and vestry; west tower; vault. Perpendicular and neo-Perpendicular. Two stage embattled tower with diagonal buttresses, plinth with offset, gargoyles, embattled topping stair-turret on north side, 2-light bell-chamber windows with stone grilles; 3-light west window, west door in a moulded surround. Nave of 1:2:1 bays, single and 3-light windows, cambered heads; 2 bay North aisle, windows in conforming style. Three bay chancel, trefoiled lancets, 3- light east window. Plastered interior on flag floors, chancel with mosaic pavement; C19 wagon roofs; arcade to north aisle, piers of 4-hollows section; C14 tower arch; plain chancel arch. Fittings:- good C15 bench ends; C15 octagonal font; C17 cover; C17 coffin stools; large branch dated 1775; iii altar, reredos, choir stalls, pews, pulpit, light fittings and painted texts. Memorials:- several slabs to floor, most important to Humfry Blake of 1619 and Baron Taunton of 1869; C18 wall monument under tower, several others of C19, particularly to Thomas and James Rich of 1813/15 by H. Wood of Bristol. Much stained glass:- East window by Hardman 1857; 6 windows by Morris & Co., 2 to aisle of 1870 and 1874 particularly good. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and Nest Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.