© Mr Mick Humphreys LRPS
CHURCH OF ST GILES,
THURLOXTON, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Mr Mick Humphreys LRPS
30 June 2002
29 March 1963
Date of last amendment:
29 March 1963
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST23SE THURLOXTON CP
7/157 Church of St Giles
Anglican Parish church. Norman; C14; predominantly C15; C19 restoration including addition of north aisle of 1868.
Random red sandstone rubble, freestone dressings, triple Roman tile roofs, coped verge with a finial. Nave with south
porch and north aisle, chancel with north vestry, west tower. Perpendicular, aisle Middle Pointed. Embattled 2-stage
tower with diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell-chamber windows with louvres, 2-light west window dated 1500, west door.
Two bay nave, square-headed 2 and 3-light windows, each light cusped, stopped labels, leaded lights. South porch with a
semi-circular head outer door opening, probably C18, dropped keystone, moulded imposts, paired doors, lamp over. Three
bay North aisle with 3 cross-gables, 2-light windows. Two bay chancel, square-headed 2-light windows, leaded lights,
blocked priests door. Inner doorway to porch with an early door; interior plastered, nave and chancel under C15/C16
ceiled wagon roofs with moulded ribs and bosses. Three bay arcade to aisle. Norman tub font with a C17 cover. Piscina.
Rood screen with 3 arches, dated 1734 the middle containing the doorway, a reading and a prayer desk, pulpit in similar
style with 4 carved figures and back-panelling. C18 pews; some C19 pews. C18 and C19 monuments, one by Pollard of
Taunton; Jacobean altar table, C18 decalogue plaques under tower with painted figures, Arms of Geo,II. C14, C15, C16
bells. Stained glass: East window of 1883; aid C19 West window; 2 Victoria Jubilee windows, C19 organ, Parson
Woodforde, the Cl8 diarist famous for "Diary of a Country Parson' was priest-in-charge for 3 months; (Pevsner N.,
Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Church Guide, undated),