You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 269469  

Print Page



©  Mike Bedingfield LRPS

IoE Number: 269469
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MANOR ROAD (west side)
  COSSINGTON, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mike Bedingfield LRPS
Date Photographed: 10 August 2001
Date listed: 29 March 1963
Date of last amendment: 29 March 1963
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

COSSINGTON CPMANOR ROAD (West side)ST34SE6/30Church of St Mary29.3.63-II*

COSSINGTON CP MANOR ROAD (West side) ST34SE 6/30 Church of St Mary 29.3.63 - II* Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15, substantially restored 1900. Coursed and coursed and squared rubble, slate roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave, chancel, south porch, west tower. Mostly Perpendicular. Three stage embattled tower with diagonal buttresses, polygonal stair turret; 2-light bell chamber windows with louvres, two 2-light windows at ringing chamber stage, one blank, one glazed; 3-light west window; blocked west doorway with 4-centred arch head, floral decoration to spandrels, stopped label with figures of angels. Three bay nave, 3-light windows, 3-light window set high up on east gable face, 2 buttresses, probably of the 1900 restoration, on north wall. Buttressed south porch, moulded C14 outer opening, sundial over, paired panelled doors, inside is benched on flagstone floor, moulded inner door opening, above a niche for a former statue. Two bay chancel, paired lancet windows to south, C13 rere-arches; north wall with remains of small window, again C13; priests door; 3-light east window; early C19 memorial tablet set into south wall. Interior with scraped nave, plastered chancel, flagstone floors. Wagon roofs to nave and chancel with ribs and bosses. Moulded tower arch, lancet ringing chamber window set over; simple chancel arch. Remains of a south transept arch. Chancel with C13 tomb-recess with a cinquefoil head. Slender C15 font with quatrefoil panels. Jacobean coffin stool. C19 pews, pulpit, decalogue plaques and reredos. Many C18/C19 wall monuments, most noteworthy over south door of the nave. Cl8 alms box. Four mid/late C19 stained glass windows; fragment of medieval glass to south window of nave; remainder of windows with plain leaded lights. Two brasses, to John Brent and wife, obit. 1524, large figures inset to chancel floor. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.