You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 270488  

Print Page



© Mr Terry Abbiss

IoE Number: 270488
Location: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY OR ST PANCRAS,
  WEST BAGBOROUGH, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Terry Abbiss
Date Photographed: 23 September 2002
Date listed: 25 February 1955
Date of last amendment: 04 May 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST13SEWEST BASBOROUGH CP3/277Church of St. Pancras(formerly listed as Church ofHoly Trinity or St Pancras)

ST13SE WEST BASBOROUGH CP 3/277 Church of St. Pancras (formerly listed as Church of Holy Trinity or St Pancras) 25.2.55 GV II* Parish church. C15, North aisle added 1839, church restored 1872, notable additions to the fittings in the 1920s. Coursed squared red sandstone, tiled roofs with decorative ridge tiles. Three bay nave, three bays North aisle, vestry, chancel, West tower, South porch. 3 stage embattled tower, diagonal buttresses, stair turret North-west corner, moulded plinth, 2-light bell openings. All 2- and 3- light windows, Perpendicular mostly restored, pointed arch West door 3-light window above, gabled porch sundial dated 1643, rood loft stair turret South-east corner, buttressed North aisle. Interior: plastered. Three bay standard Perpendicular arcade with pointed arches, C19 open wagon roof North aisle, plaster restored and bosses gilded 1935 on nave and chancel wagon roofs, wave moulded chancel arch. C16 bench ends, Screen and galley at West end designed by Ninian Comper, also front cover, figures on rood beam and 8 of the stained glass windows. Communion rails 1677, bought from Brompton Ralf in 1910, as was the organ. Funeral hatchments on North wall of nave, and painted Royal Coat of Arms in North aisle. (Briscoe, The Church of St Pancras, 1938; photographs in NMR).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.