You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 271014  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Salisbury

IoE Number: 271014
Location: NYNEHEAD COURT AND WALL ADJOINING ON NORTH SIDE OF FORECOURT,
  NYNEHEAD, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Peter Salisbury
Date Photographed: 28 November 1999
Date listed: 25 January 1956
Date of last amendment: 25 January 1956
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NINEHEAD CPST12SWNINEHEAD VILLAGE4/72Nynehead Court and wall adjoiningon north side of forecourt25.1.56

NINEHEAD CP ST12SW NINEHEAD VILLAGE 4/72 Nynehead Court and wall adjoining on north side of forecourt 25.1.56 GV II* Country house, now residential home for the elderly. Late medieval in origin, rebuilding and enlargement dated 1675,extended west late C18, north-east kitchen wing raised to 2 storeys, south-east wing raised to 3 and south range reroofed earli-mid C19, entrance resited on east front, internal alterations and redecoration mid- late C20. Rendergrooved as ashlar over rubble exposed in service range, dado, flat string band, dentil cornice to C17 hipped slate roofs, moulded cornices to similar C19 roofs, brick stack to right of entrance, two C19 stacks on south front, 2 tall stacks in north-east corner with bell said to be dated 1747. Courtyard plan; possibly open hall house lying north-south with detached kitchen to north, porch added west front, west wall built out flush with porch, lower end rebuilt and extended north linking single storey kitchen wing, south-east stair wing added, hall ceiled, dining room inserted on south side, drawing roof added to west and subsequently linked to range of service buildings on west front; now entered in east front with garden wall (qv) abutting south-east corner and wall incorporating remains of garden structure abutting north-east. East front: 2 storeys plus attic centre, 2-storey kitchen wing set at an angle right and 3-storey stair case wing projecting left, 3:1:4:1 bays, 3 gabled dormers with C20 casements, one above entrance, 2 to right,left moulded arch head sash windows with keystones, inserted stair light window (partially blocked rising through 2 lower storeys right and cutting string course, evidence of 2 blocked windows in re-entrant angle, entrance bay slightly recessed with late C17 ovolo moulded Venetian style window with carved keystone, right 12-pine sash windows in moulded surrounds with keystones, ground floor window right blocked, ground floor window in re-entrannt angle also blocked and in end hay basked by archway and wall. Entrance panelled battened door of uncertain date, moulded arch head inner doorway with half-glazed door. Garden front of 3;4 bays, 2 storeys left,3 right under same roof, second floor right 2 light casements, otherwise 12-pane sashes; abutting left single storey C20 glazed infill linking gable end of single storey red sandstone random rubble range with segmental headed window, rectangular opening in gable end. Red brick wall on north side of forecourt with nesting boxes on rear elevation. Interior much altered. Ogee headed niche in west wall of porch (now nurses dining room) with chamfered 4-centred arch head outer doorway and arched inner doorway on west side of hall, north side segmental headed pediment with keystone inscribed "E S(andford) E 1675" with broken segmental pediment on rear elevation, chamfered beams with step and runout stops in kitchen wing, roof on east front with early C18 panelling,turned balusters with moulded handrail to dogleg stair; the upper floor rooms have been subdivided with carved overmantel dated 1633 above dining room suggesting date that hall ceiled (although this carving may be C19) and plasterwork wreath; drawing room with fine white marble chimney piece c1760 with dancing figures, number of early C19 doors in situ. This was the home of the Wyke family in the Middle Ages and was purchased from them by Martin Sandford in 1590.His descendants held the property until the 1920s and both families made many contributions to the church of All Saints (qv) to the south-east. The house became a residential home for the elderly in 1949,(Whittaker, Notes on the History of Nynehead Court, 1979 VA6 Report, unpublished SRO, June 1980).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.