You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 271030  

Print Page



© Mr John Chester

IoE Number: 271030
Location: CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS,
  OAKE, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Chester
Date Photographed: 19 September 2002
Date listed: 25 January 1956
Date of last amendment: 25 January 1956
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

OAKE CPST12SEHILLFARRANCE5/80Church of the Holy Cross25.1.56

OAKE CP ST12SE HILLFARRANCE 5/80 Church of the Holy Cross 25.1.56 II* Parish church. C14 and C15, tower early C16, extensively restored 1857 when porch and vestry added, tower restored 1924, church reroofed and restored 1967. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone dressings, decorative patterned claytiles on south side facing village, decorative ridge tiles, coped verges. West tower, south porch abutting south chapel, 2-bay nave, north-east vestry and chancel. Three stage tower with quatrefoil pierced parapet continued around stair turret placed on centre of north face, gargoyles, diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell-openings with Somerset tracery, second stage unlit, 3-light west window with continous hood mould resting on string course above decorative spandrels of 4-centred arch head west doorway, C20 door 3-light window to south face of nave, wall splayed out with part buttress visible behind C19 single storey porch, moulded arch opening, C19 door with remains of holy water stoup to right, abutting chapel projecting beyond, 2-light south and east windows, 2-light south wall of chancel, 3-light east window, 2-light east window to vestry, door on north face, very large buttress at junction of vestry and nave,possibly part of former rood stair, two 3-light mullioned windows under hoodnoulds. Interior: rendered, exposed rubble to tower. Chamfered chancel arch, 4-centred tower arch chamfered in 2 orders with date 1884 carved on north face, very large buttress at junction of vestry and nave, possibly part of former rood stair, two 3-light mullioned windows under hoodmoulds, Perpendicular arch to chapel cut back with angel corbel inserted above 2 shafts on east wall, C19 dedication to William de Vernai died 1333. Roofs C19, chancel shallow barrel vault with painted decoration, nave moulded ribbed barrel vault, ceiled, billeted wall plate, C20 roof to Vernai chapel. Aumbry, piscina and sedilia in chancel, moulded ogee-headed stair turret doorway. Slate memorial tablet to William North, died 1809, inscribed "Long fecit,Taunton". C19 octagonal font on 4 pillars, C19 bench ends copies of C16 originals, C19 pulpit. John Peryn of Wellington left money towards the building of the church tower in his will dated 1509. It shares with St Mary, West Buckland (qv.) the unusual characteristic of having the stair turret placed centrally on the tower wall rather than at a corner. (Pevsner Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.