You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 271114  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 271114
Location: THE MANOR,
  STAPLE FITZPAINE, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 07 August 1986
Date of last amendment: 07 August 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST21NESTAPLE FITZPAINE CPSTAPLE FITZPAINE VILLAGE11/175The Manor

ST21NE STAPLE FITZPAINE CP STAPLE FITZPAINE VILLAGE 11/175 The Manor GV II Rectory, now dwelling. 1840 for the Rev. Fitzhardinge Berkeley Portman. Squared and coursed blue lias, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, hipped and gabled, behind parapets, large external stack north-east corner on entrance facade, clustered stacks centre and to west. Double pile with long service wing to west. Entrance front (north), 2 storeys, 2:1:2:1 bays, set back service wing to right, chamfered string courses and moulded plinths, narrow sash windows with horizontal bars, large external stack left flanked by windows, full height gabled porch, oriel window with apron and square hood mould to Tudor arch head doorway, half-glazed ribbed double doors; 2 and 3-light windows right with gabled parapet and cross wing to end bay. Left return of 2 bays with full height canted bay, long asymmetrical gabled south front. Interior not seen. This was built as the rectory by the Rev Portman who also rebuilt Curland (qv) and Bickenhall Church, the latter resited nearer the rectory, now Neroche Parish Hall (qv). As the brother of Lord Portman who owned all of Staple Fitzpaine CP, the Rev Portman also held the benefices of Stoke St Mary and Thurlbear. (Sixsmith, Staple Fitzpaine and the Forest of Neroche, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.