You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 271133  

Print Page



© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 271133
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET,
  WELLINGTON WITHOUT, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 05 April 2006
Date listed: 25 January 1956
Date of last amendment: 25 January 1956
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST02SEWELLINGTON WITHOUT CPTHORNE ST MARGARET VILLAGE3/177Church of St Margaret

ST02SE WELLINGTON WITHOUT CP THORNE ST MARGARET VILLAGE 3/177 Church of St Margaret (formerly listed in Thorne St Margaret CP) 25.1.56 GV II* Parish church. C15 tower, rest of church rebuilt 1865 by C E Giles, or B Ferrey. Red sandstone random rubble, tower partially rendered, red sandstone and Ham stone dressings, West Somerset slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave, 3-bay south aisle, south porch, 2-bay chancel with south-west vestry and organ bay. Crenellated 2-stage tower, diagonal buttresses, single light louvred bell opening under hood mould, string course, 3-light west window, double roll moulded Tudor arch head west door; very unusual art nouveau-style 2-light bell opening on south face, date uncertain; 2-light west window in aisle, trefoil light above in gable end, single storey gabled porch, quatrefoil lights on returns, approached by flight of 3 steps flanked by segmental slabs containing boot scrapers, pointed arch chamfered in 2 orders, ogee-headed inner doorway, C19 double doors; lancet and paired lancet windows right, quatrefoil light in gable end of aisle, paired lancets to vestry, chancel unlit south side, 3-light east window, 2 lancets north front; two 2-light windows north front of aisle. Interior: rendered, exposed red sandstone rubble in tower. Wooden chancel arch, soffit pierced by quatrefoils, tower arch dying into imposts, slightly off-centre. Pointed arch arcade, chamfered in 2 orders, circular piers. Norman zig-zag moulding on reredos of entrance, probably reset. Scissor truss roofs. Saxon bowl font, restored and placed in church 1904. Stained glass in east window dated 1907. Four bay screen between vestry and aisle containing some early panelling, possibly reset from earlier rood screen. Brass lectern. Pair of painted wrought iron candelabra in sanctuary. John Warthe brass, C17 with English and Latin inscriptions set in wooden plaque. A reproduction of a drawing of the church in 1859 is on display, showing the building prior to reconstruction. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Kelly's Directory, 1914).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.