© Mr John Lewis
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS,
THORPE CONSTANTINE, LICHFIELD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Mr John Lewis
07 September 2007
27 February 1964
Date of last amendment:
27 February 1964
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK 20 NW THORPE CONSTANTINE C.P. STATFOLD
5/67 Church of All
Chapel. Mainly early C14 incorporating some C12 work, and some earlier,
possibly Anglo Saxon material, alterations of the C17, restored 1906.
The earliest stonework is a reddish conglomerate, coursed small stone
rubble with wide joints now incorporating tiles as a result of restoration
work done in 1965; C14 coursed and dressed freestone; C17 or C18 coursed
and dressed freestone, with herringbone tooling; ashlar of 1906. Plain
tile roof. 2-bay nave and chancel in one with diagonal buttresses
to the western corners and angle buttresses to the eastern corners,
buttreses at the bay division. C12 west door with chamfered surround
and semi-circular arch springing from imposts. The west wall and the
west ends of the north and south walls consist of early stonework
incorporating some freestone blocks, probably C14; both east and west
gables have been rebuilt probably in 1906 when the roof was replaced.
Early C14 east bay with pointed north and south windows. The north
window has Y-tracery and a returned hood mould, the south window has
2 trefoil-headed ogee lights and a single reticulation, a quarter round
moulding and a hood mould terminating in a pair of, now mutilated,
heads. Small rectangular north and south windows at the west end of
the bay, also C14. Early C14 south door with segmental pointed head
and quarter round moulded surround. 4-light chamfer mullioned east
window, probably C17, partially blocked, probably in the late C19 when
the stained glass was inserted. North wall of the west bay is Cl7,
the south wall dates to 1906. Square-headed north and south windows
of 2 trefoil headed ogee lights and sunken spandrels, the south window
is wholly of 1906, the north window has been heavily restored at that
date but retains some original work, and is possibly Gothic survival
of the C17, contemporary with the stonework that surrounds it. Interior:
C14 piscina and sedile, the former has an ogee head, the latter has
a pointed trefoil head. Above the piscina and incorporated into the
wall is a stone cross probably C12. Aumbry with C17 or C18 doors.
Stone altar constructed of grave slabs, with a frieze of circa 1800 over.
Common rafter roof of 1906. Fittings: late C17 or C18 wooden semi-
hexagonal pulpit. C14 stone font with octagonal pedestal; the basin
is probably C17, it has a simple frieze of scallops and a lead inscription
around the rim: "Nascentes morimur. Finisque ab origine pendet".
Coat of arms of Stanford Wolferston (d. 1772). Monuments: in the chancel
2 segmental pointed niches with quarter round moulding, each containing
the recumbant effigy of a lady, possibly members of the de Lee family;
both late C14, the southern one circa 1370, the northern one circa
1390. Large elaborately carved aedicular tablet of 1676 to Francis
and Frances Wolferston. Aedicular tablet to Hester Wolferston (d.1775).
Stained glass: east window has mainly small Flemish panels of the C17,
inserted in 1861; the small south window has a late medieval panel
of a bishop. B.O.E. pp.251-2.