© Mr Dave Jones
THORPE CONSTANTINE, LICHFIELD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Mr Dave Jones
30 October 1999
29 October 1987
Date of last amendment:
29 October 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK 20 NW THORPE CONSTANTINE C.P. STATFOLD
5/69 Statfold Hall
Small country house. Mainly circa 1700, incorporating some earlier
material, major alterations and additions of 1777 and 1819. Red brick;
hipped slate roofs; brick ridge stacks. Principal alignment roughly
north-south facing south, south wing aligned east-west; further extensions
to the rear, and an octagonal stair turret at the north-east corner.
West front: 2 storeys with stone plinth and low stone coped parapet
incorporating a suggested pediment above the entrance bay. 2-bay south
wing of 1819 to the right with blind panels above the first floor windows,
and an oversailing eaves cornice. Main 3-bay house to the left recessed
between two 3-light bay windows of 1777. Mainly glazing bar sashes
with gauged brick heads, those in the central recess have been replaced
by large pane sashes but retain the original surrounds, including flush
faced sash boxes, the first floor windows of both bays have dripstone
bands. Central brick porch with 6-panelled 2-leaf door within a stone
surround, and a stone cornice with scrolled decorative motif above
the entrance. South front: 2 storeys with oversailing eaves cornice;
6 bays, glazing bar sashes. North-east stair turret: probably late
C17. Red brick (Flemish bond). Stepped eaves band and hipped roof.
At the top of the turret each side has a small segmental headed window.
At the base is a lintel dated "F.W. 1681", this was moved from elsewhere
to its present position in 1939 when the north wing of 1819 was demolished.
Interior: staircase of 1819 with decorative wrought iron balustrade.
Statfold Hall has been the home of the Wolferston family since 1565.