You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 274938  

Print Page



© Mr Geoffrey R Hood LRPS, CPAGB

IoE Number: 274938
Location: ORANGERY, SCREEN WALL AND POTTING SHEDS APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES NORTH EAST OF HEATH HOUSE, HOLLINGTON ROAD (south side)
  CHECKLEY, STAFFORDSHIRE MOORLANDS, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Geoffrey R Hood LRPS, CPAGB
Date Photographed: 17 September 2003
Date listed: 08 August 1986
Date of last amendment: 08 August 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 03 NWCHECKLEY C.P.HOLLINGTON ROAD(south side)9/134Orangery, screen wall andpotting sheds approx.

SK 03 NW CHECKLEY C.P. HOLLINGTON ROAD (south side) 9/134 Orangery, screen wall and potting sheds approx. 200m N. E. of Heath House - II* Orangery. Circa 1830 by James Trubshaw, Yellow sandstone ashlar; curved hipped glazed roof on cast iron glazing bars. Single-storey front on stepped plinth of five bays, the outer broken forward with pilasters at angles, the inner divided by Ionic half columns all supporting a deep frieze with lions head corbels and dentilled cornice with blocking course, the centre of which has a raised step bearing a seated girl with a dog; round-arched openings with moulded imposts and arch; console keystones, small-pane French casements. Side elevations have one glazed bay of similar style and rear (to north) a similar entrance, placed centrally beneath frieze and cornice, in an otherwise plain facade. The main facade is flanked by set back screen walls of approximately three bays of recessed panels (for training fruit espaliers) and ended by piers, the rear sides of the screens have slate roof, lean-to potting sheds, symmetrically placed and each with two chamfered mullion windows and boarded door. Interior: stone flagged floor and plastered walls (Part lost); the corbels set high on the walls look like the support for a former roof but served to hold fern baskets during the horticultural craze of the mid C19. The orginal drawing of the orangery exists of 1829 and signed James Trubshaw. Most of the scheme as executed is consistent except the screen walls were intended to be longer and had urns as finials to the piers; also the central sculpture was intended to be much larger and of a reclining figure. Drawings in possession of Mrs Phillips, Heath House, at time of Resurvey (August 1985).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.