You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 281381  

Print Page



© Mr A. C. A Seinet

IoE Number: 281381
Location: POST MILL ROUNDHOUSE, 70 METRESNORTH WEST OF THE SHIELING, THE STREET
  THORNDON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr A. C. A Seinet
Date Photographed: 29 July 2002
Date listed: 23 June 1988
Date of last amendment: 23 June 1988
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

THORNDONTHE STREETTM 16 NW3/100Post mill roundhouse, 70mnorth west of The Shieling-II

THORNDON THE STREET TM 16 NW 3/100 Post mill roundhouse, 70m north west of The Shieling - II Roundhouse of former post mill, now used as a store. 1820. Red brick with narrow projecting bands of white brick at first and second floor levels. Felted conical roof of shallow pitch. 3 storeys. Circular on plan. Openings on 4 quarters, 3 with tiers of boarded window openings, one with boarded doors at ground and first floors and a 6-paned window above. The lower half of the post and its supporting trestle are still in position inside. The mill, demolished c.1924, was one of the tallest in the county. Included as a good example of its type.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.