You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 28809  

Print Page



© Mr Mike Martin

IoE Number: 28809
Location: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ST JAMES'S STREET
  KINGSWOOD, SOUTH GLOUCESTERSHIRE, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Mike Martin
Date Photographed: 07 April 2002
Date listed: 24 April 1951
Date of last amendment: 24 April 1951
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

5118EX-MANGOTSFIELD UDST JAMES'S STREETChurch of. St JamesST 67 NE 2/19924.4.51.II*GV

1. 5118 EX-MANGOTSFIELD UD ST JAMES'S STREET Church of. St James ST 67 NE 2/199 24.4.51. II* GV 2. Mediaeval Parish Church probably incorporating William de Putot's memorial chapel of 1221-28. C13 with later mediaeval alterations and C19 rebuilding and alterations. (James Foster of Bristol 1812, and Pope, Bindon and Clarke 1851). Built of pennant stone rubble with freestone dressings. Consists of nave, chancel, north aisle, north chapel, vestry, south porch with tower over. Three stage tower with embattled freestone parapet, pinnacles and octagonal spire (raised 1851), square stair turret to north-east and diagonal buttresses rising through one stage only. Below is C13 porch, inner doorway with deeply undercut mouldings, detached shafts with waterholding bases, dog-tooth ornament to capitals and trefoiled niche (restored) over the arch. Windows perpendicular in style and mostly restored, some pointed and some square headed. West door comparatively plain but with 2 flanking niches containing small shield-bearing knights. Interior has nave arcade of 3 perpendicular arches. C15 font. C19 roof with angel corbels. Marble tablet to Edward Andrews, died 1758. In the porch is a mediaeval wooden chest.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.