You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 289006  

Print Page

©  Norman Wigg

IoE Number: 289006
Photographer: Norman Wigg
Date Photographed: 23 May 2001
Date listed: 01 May 1953
Date of last amendment: 15 March 1988
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SU 99 49SW GUILDFORD MILLBROOK (West Side) 7/141 1/5/53 The Treadwheel Crane (Formerly listed in Friary Street as Crane House) II* Treadwheel crane. Late C17/C18, repaired in C18 and C19, dismantled and re-erected on present site in c.1970. Timber framed with oak weatherboard cladding and plain- tiled roof. Two framed bays, one open with arched braces. Queen-strut clasped- purlin roof to clad bay. Braced crane hoist to east with chain linking to main treadwheel, approximately 5 metres in diameter and 1½ metres wide. The crane was powered by two men in the treadwheel and was last used to transport the stone for Guildford Cathedral (q.v.) in c.1960, and is believed to have been the last working example in Great Britain. The Treadwheel Crane is a Scheduled Ancient Monument, Surrey Monument Number 145.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.