© Mr Ray Pettit
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS,
PEPER HAROW, WAVERLEY, SURREY
Mr Ray Pettit
05 October 2003
09 March 1960
Date of last amendment:
09 March 1960
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SU 94SW PEPER HAROW C.P. PEPER HAROW PARK
5/73 Church of St Nicholas
Church. C12, south nave wall and chancel. West tower 1826, north aisle and mortuary
chapel 1847 by A. W. N. Pugin for Viscount Middleton. South porch added in 1877.
Coursed, rough dressed local sandstone with clunch dressings and plinth on chancel
and North Aisle, sandstone rubble covered in rough lime plaster to nave with clunch
quoins and sandstone blocks to tower. Stone porch, timber framed above, with incised
render infilling, plain tiled roofs. Square battlemented tower to west end, nave
and aisle to north with chancel to east, chancel chapel to north, vestry at angles
north west, porch to south. Tower with diagonal offset buttresses to west end,
stair turret to north east corner. One arched louvred. opening on each face under
cornice in splayed ashlar surrounds, one similar window with Y tracery to north and
south sides. Lancet with bowl projecting to base, dated 1826 on front of tower over
2-light Victorian window under hood mould. North aisle windows in early English
style, chancel windows Decorated style and large window to East of 3-lights and Star
of David pattern tracery under hood mould with human head steps. Niche memorial to
Catherine Broderick 1867, on west wall of porch chancel chapel. Old South door of 2
plain orders and round arch.
Interior:- Panelled nave roof with floral bosses to square panels. Grey marble
columns to north aisle of 4 lobed sections with chevron moulding to arches. Elaborate
floral, cusped rear arches to west window. Much restored chancel arch of C12,
remodelled by Pugin. Original traces of Norman arch to shallow recesses left and
right of main arch. Heavily decorated central arch with chevron and cross mouldings
and attached orders with scalloped capitals. Painted and panelled chancel ceiling.
Fittings:- Caen stone reredos of 5 canopied compartments, the centre containing
cross supported by angels and cherubim standing on wheels to other four. C19
fittings including pulpit and font. Victorian Gothic scripts painted on chancel
Monuments: Brass to Joan Adderley dated 1487, small kneeling figure c.14 inches high
under ogee niche. Tower arch wall - monuments to Thomas and Catherine Broderick,
died 1641. Grey stele with white cherub's head and portrait busts to either side.
Attributed to Bushnell. Neo classical monument to Thomas Broderick 1745. Grey marble
stele with crowning urn. On North wall of chancel. Tomb monument to George,
Viscount Middleton by H. Weekes of London. 1836. Brought from Wandsworth. Placid
semi-reclining figure against Perpendicular tracery background.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp.407-8.
V.C.H. Vol III pp.51-2.