© Mr David F Broomfield
DUTTON HALL, ASHURST WOOD
FOREST ROW, WEALDEN, EAST SUSSEX
Mr David F Broomfield
25 August 2004
18 April 1973
Date of last amendment:
31 December 1982
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
FOREST ROW ASHURSTWOOD
(Stoke Brunswick School)
(formerly listed as
Stoke House and
TQ 43 NW 4/37 18.4.73
This house was formed by Lord Dewar in 1933. It has a half-H plan on 3 sides of
a courtyard. It was formed of 2 old houses.
Two storeys and attic. Fourteen windows. Tiled roof. Casement windows. The
original house, known as Homestall, formed the south-west wing. This is a
C15-16 timber-framed building with plaster infilling, the end portion faced
The east wing was brought here from Cheshire and comprised a house known as
Dutton Hall. Also a C16 timber-framed building with plaster infilling and
close-studding. Elaborately carved 2 storeyed porch with gable over, dated 1562.
Great hall inside with partly enclosed hammer-beam roof. Stone fireplace