You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 309201  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 309201
Location: MANCETTER MANOR AND ATTACHED GATEPIER, THE GREEN (west side)
  MANCETTER, NORTH WARWICKSHIRE, WARWICKSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 23 November 1951
Date of last amendment: 30 March 1988
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCETTERTHE GREENSP3296(West side)11/108Mancetter Manor and attached23/11/51gatepier(Formerly listed as Mancetter

MANCETTER THE GREEN SP3296 (West side) 11/108 Mancetter Manor and attached 23/11/51 gatepier (Formerly listed as Mancetter Manor House) GV II* Manor house. c.1330. Floor inserted in south part of hall late C15 and in north part C17. South cross-wing added c.1580. Some early C18 alterations. North part of main range extended forward slightly in 1811. Some C19/C20 alterations, including some refacing of cross-wings with sham timber-framing and replacement of windows. Timber framed: close studding with plastered infill. Main range has front mostly of rendered brick with dentil cornice. Old plain-tile roof; large rendered external stacks to return sides and ridge stack have C17 whitewashed brick shafts with pilaster strips. Single-ended aisled hall house with cross-wing, extended to double-ended plan and with minor additions to rear. 2 storeys; 6-window range. 4-bay main range has 3-bay right part. Recessed porch on right with rendered keyed round arch, tapering Doric pilaster to left and simple entablature with dentil cornice. Pointed arched doorway inside, of 3 moulded wood orders, may be medieval. C19/C20 studded part-glazed double-leaf doors. Ground floor has 2 wood mullioned windows of 2 trefoiled lights. First floor has chamfered wood cross-windows. Windows have raised quoined surrounds. Wide recessed left bay has balcony to first floor with cut-out splat balustrade, and posts with braces supporting beam below cornice. French windows, with glazing bars to first floor, have early C19 reeded wood surrounds. Ground floor also has cross-windows to left and right. Cross wings have wood mullioned and transomed windows, of 5 moulded lights to ground-floor bay windows, and 3 chamfered lights above. Leaded lights throughout. Rear has long wing to left. Main range, of one storey and attic, has heavy C14 studding and curved braces. C19/C20 porch on right has ribbed door. Windows of 3 and 4 trefoiled lights. Two C17 dormers have renewed 4-light wood mullioned and transomed windows. Left wing has large C19/C20 lean-to addition across return side. Segmental-arched panelled double-leaf doors. Windows of 3 trefoiled lights to left and 6 to right. Wing has rough-cast ground floor with 3-light casement to left. First floor has small one-, 2- and 3-light casements. Right cross-wing with exposed framing has small range at right angles to right. Large mullioned and transomed canted bay window. Small 3-light window to right. First floor has irregular fenestration. Gable has c18 timber bell-turret with keyed segmental arches and pyramid roof. Interior: room to left of screens passage has C19 panelling and fireplace. Room to left has moulded cross beams with moulded post and curved bracket of c.1480, and C17 panelling. Fireplace, possibly partly early C18, has basket arch; rear wall has bean opened up. Early C18 dog-leg staircase behind has column-on-vase balusters. Re-set C16/C17 panelling in corridor has panel above door inscribed 15 HF 97, and below, HOMO BULLA. North cross-wing has east room. with ogee-stop-chamfered beam. Wide fireplace has early C16 run-out chamfered and moulded bressumer and iron fireback with the royal arms and inscribed CR. Made-up wood overmantel of 5 alternating carved and plain C17 round arches with split turned balusters. South wing has east room with chamfered cross beams and altered open fireplace. West room has early C18 moulded and fielded panelled dado and built-in corner cupboard with segmental-arched double-leaf doors. On the first floor the massive hall trusses survive almost intact in 2 rooms. Central truss has very large trefoiled arch and cambered tie beam. South room has more simply cusped south truss, and large chamfered wind brace. Plaster vault over French window. Northern room has large chamfered arch truss between hall and former screens passage. Wind braces, one of them cusped, to west, moulded wall plates, and heavy purl in and rafters. Upper part of screens passage, now a corridor, has north truss against cross-wing with central moulded cusped arch, posts, and similar smaller arches at right angles across the corridor, dividing off the former aisles. Doors from this corridor have short flights of steps with column-on-vase balusters. 6-panelled door to cross wing has moulded panelled surround; double 6-panelled doors in basket arch to room above hall. North wing has east room with C14 chamfered arched truss and cambered tie beam, and braces to ridge. Small room behind has timber-framed partition. Early C18 room beyond has panelled doors in moulded wood eared and shouldered architraves, panelling and moulded dentil cornice. Carved wood eared chimneypiece has blind fret panels. South wing has exposed posts and stud partition, and queen strut roof with wind braces. There are a variety of C16, C17, C18 and early C19 panelled doors throughout the house. Mancetter Manor was the home of the martyr Robert G1over. Gatepier attached to the right side of the north wing is early C18. Rendered, with stone cornice and ball finial. Approximately 3 metres high. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p 347; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, pp 117-119)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.