© Gill Cardy ARPS
THE TOWN BRIDGE AND CHAPEL,
BRADFORD ON AVON, WEST WILTSHIRE, WILTSHIRE
Gill Cardy ARPS
23 July 2001
18 April 1952
Date of last amendment:
18 April 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1. The Town Bridge and
ST 8260 2/90 18.4.52.
Stone built, 9 arches. Originally pack horse bridge, but widened in Cl7
by rebuilding western side. All arches on W side are semi-circular. Eastern
side retains two original C13 arches, ribbed and pointed, remainder semi-circular.
Cutwaters with weather capping on this side. One cutwater extended to
form pier and stepped out in graduated corbelling to support Chapel. The
Chapel (known also as Blind House) is almost square in plan, has 4 small
square window openings, 2 overlooking river and 1 in each side. A narrow
4-centred arch doorway gives access from bridge. The domed roof rises
(following the square plan of the chapel) in a series of offsets and terminates
in heavy stone finial surmounted by weather vane. The rotating vane is
in form of fish. (The "Bradford Gudgeon") and is C16 work in copper-guilt.
There is short chimney stack on river side of roof. Chapel has been used
also as lock-up and ammunition store.
The Town Bridge and Chapel form a group with Lamb's factory, Silver Street.