You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 312585  

Print Page



©  Gill Cardy ARPS

IoE Number: 312585
Location: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST THOMAS MORE, CHURCH STREET (north side)
  BRADFORD ON AVON, WEST WILTSHIRE, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: Gill Cardy ARPS
Date Photographed: 23 July 2001
Date listed: 23 August 1974
Date of last amendment: 23 August 1974
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1. MARKET STREET5411 (West Side)Roman Catholic Churchof St Thomas More

1. MARKET STREET 5411 (West Side) Roman Catholic Church of St Thomas More ST 8261 1/188 II GV 2. The properties of the Roman Catholic Church of St Thomas More and the Midland Bank in Church Street were originally built to house the Town Hall and Council Offices. Together these properties form the single most prominent feature in the townscape of Bradford-on-Avon. 1854-5 by Thomas Fuller of Bath. Ashlar. Occupying a corner site. The main entrance to the building is set diagonally across the corner of the building, which is dominated by a tall octagonal tower with an onion dome supporting a ball and weathervane. Moulded cornice below dome with finely carved grotesques at angles. Triple sound-holes to each face of the tower. Octagonal top has weatherings which rise from a larger base. The whole tower then turns square with parapets, large corner finials and Jacobean-shaped gablets effecting the change. Clock on raised field directly over entrance. Deep broken cornice under clock, with the extended centre light of a large 3-light mullioned window rising through cornice. Large sloping offset occurs above ground-floor level and continues across on to 2 low flanking extensions. Main entrance has a large flattened 4-centred arch with multiple mouldings, and a hood-mould with heraldic label-stops. Triangular fanlight and double wooden doors up 4 steps. Circular device with shield and date 1854 over doorway. The Roman Catholic Church of St Thomas More forms a group with all the listed buildings in Church Street, The Chantry and Little Chantry, No 7 and Nos 9 to 19 (consec) Barton Orchard, Nos 5 and 6 and 27 to 31 (consec) and wall,Newtown.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.