You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 313772  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 313772
Location: BAYNTON HOUSE,
  COULSTON, WEST WILTSHIRE, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 11 September 1968
Date of last amendment: 11 September 1968
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

EAST COULSTONEAST COULSTON VILLAGEST 95 SE(south side)6/134Baynton House11.9.68

EAST COULSTON EAST COULSTON VILLAGE ST 95 SE (south side) 6/134 Baynton House 11.9.68 GV II Country house. Early C17, rebuilt 1780s by William Evelyn and extended and refronted in 1797 by William Long. Rendered brick, hipped Welsh slate roof, brick and stone stacks with moulded cappings. U plan. Two-storey, 7-window east front. Six-panelled door with transom light in Tuscan porch to right of centre, 12-pane sash and tripartite sash to right, three sashes and one tripartite sash to left. First floor has seven sashes, all sashes are in moulded stone architraves, stone modillioned cornice and plain blocking course, chamfered stone quoins and 2 bays to left all date from 1797. Left return, garden front, has central glazed door with pediment on fluted columns, tripartite 15-pane sash either side, central 12-pane sash flanked by tripartite sash to first floor, L lead rainwater heads with initials W W and dated 1797, cornice and quoins. Right return has attached C20 flat roofed services, single-storey range with casements. Rear has 12-pane sashes and tripartite sashes to ground and first floor, around three sides of courtyard. Interior: Entrance hall with C17 wainscot panelling with strapwork frieze, possibly reset, 6-panelled doors with cocks head hinges, chamfered cross beams with stepped stops; C18 stairs with two turned balusters per tread, moulded wreathed handrail. C17 stairs from first to attic floor has carved square balusters and very wide moulded handrail, possibly reset. C18 part of house, including 1797 south wing has 6-panelled doors in panelled reveals, Adam- style fireplaces with cast-iron grates, decorated plaster ceiling friezes and window shutters. Library fireplace has wooden surround with scrolled frieze and fluted columns. House set in park land with lake. Renamed Baynton House in 1790s by Willam Long who moved here from the destroyed Baynton House in Edington. (V.C.H., Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.