You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 314585  

Print Page

© Mr Graham Hill

IoE Number: 314585
Photographer: Mr Graham Hill
Date Photographed: 12 July 2002
Date listed: 13 November 1962
Date of last amendment: 13 November 1962
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.


ST 86 NW MONKTON FARLEIGH MONKTON FARLEIGH VILLAGE (west side) 2/139 Church of St Peter 13-11-62 GV II* Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C17, 1844 rebuilding by T.H. Wyatt, restored 1874. Rubble stone with dressed limestone chancel, stone slate roof with coped verges and cross finials. Plan: west tower, aisleless nave, with north porch and south vestry, C19 chancel. Gabled porch with double chamfered pointed doorway with original studded and ledged door, coped verge. Nave has two C19 pointed windows either side of porch, C19 buttresses with offsets. C13-style chancel of 1844 has two trefoiled lancets to north side, diagonal buttress and 3-light pointed window to east end. Vestry attached to south side of chancel said to be 1829 Sunday School; two 3-light mullioned windows with elliptical arched lights and hoodmoulds, stone stack on west gable end over gabled stone porch. South side of nave has four 2-light C19 pointed windows and one cusped lancet with hoodmould to right. Two-stage tower, possibly C12, has angle buttresses, chamfered lancet to west side, bellstage has pair of roll-moulded round-headed lights with latticed stone louvres, possibly C12 string course to plain parapet and corbel table on north and south side, saddleback roof. Interior: Porch with fixed stone benches, inner C12 doorway with chevron ornament to round arch, scalloped capital to left hand shaft, right shaft has capital with mask, inserted Tudor-arched doorway with double planked doors. Save has 5-bay C19 deep arch- braced collar truss roof on stone corbels, polychrome tiled floor, ashlar-lined walls. Narrow double-chamfered tower arch with wrought iron gates and octagonal C19 stone font with painted floral decoration and carved rosettes. C19 pointed chancel arch on attached shafts, chancel has 2-bay deep arch-braced collar truss roof similar to nave roof, small restored chamfered pointed piscina on south wall and trefoiled aumbry on north wall, segmental pointed door to vestry. C17 communion table with turned legs. C19 mosaic reredos and C19 communion rail in brass and wood. Other fittings: good C17 octagonal pulpit with arched panels and lozenges, reset on C19 stone plinth, linenfold panelling behind. C19 nave and chancel seating. Some more reset linenfold panelling behind organ on west wall on nave. Stained glass mostly of 1860s and 1870s and north window in chancel of 1905, signed J. Bell and Son, Bristol, in memory of Charles and Elizabeth Kendall; she died 1904. Three bells dated 1623, 1724 and 1783. Good collection of C17, C18 and C19 tablets. Chancel examples include stone tablet to Sara Grant died 1602, cartouche to children of Rev Richard Ford, late C17, pedimented tablet with fluted pilasters to Mary Sartain died 1712, bolection-moulded tablet to William Watson. Nave tablets include bolection-moulded tablet to Mary Hayward, died 1717, shaped tablet to Jane, Elizabeth and Susanna Cottle died 1754, 1765 and 1769, stone tablet with good lettering to Thomas Butler died 1713, several C19 black and white marble including one to Wade Browne died 1851 signed by Gaffin of London. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 7, 1953; Church Guide)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.