You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 318750  

Print Page

© Dr Robert Slade

IoE Number: 318750
Photographer: Dr Robert Slade
Date Photographed: 28 May 2001
Date listed: 17 February 1970
Date of last amendment: 23 April 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

EMLYN SQUARESU 1484 NESWINDON(east side)6/88Great Western Railway Museum(formerly listed an the Railway

EMLYN SQUARE SU 1484 NE SWINDON (east side) 6/88 Great Western Railway Museum (formerly listed an the Railway Museum in Faringdon Road) 17.2.70 GV II Model lodging house, 1849-1852 for GWR, converted to family hostel 1861, and to Weslyan Chapel 1869, now museum since 1960 conversion. Ashlar limestone in black mortar, asbestos cement roof slates. 3 storey with 4 storey end bays, 9 bays to Emlyn Square, a central entrance under pitched and gabled porch added 1869. Buttresses to end towers, corbel table and parapet with stacks to roof. Ground floor trefoil-headed paired lights with transom, shouldered to first floor and second floor, latter in raised gables. Triple lights to end bays. Elevation to Faringdon Road similar, but added large central gable with lancets and gable lights between added square stair towers, returning by broaches to octagonal louvred turrets above second floor. Octagonal pyramid spire lets. Ground floor this elevation with C20 glazing and glazed porch brought out between towers. Interior altered to form chapel. 2 storey keeled cast iron columns supporting moulded panelled ceiling. West side 2 storey with gallery at first floor. (Notes on the History of the Barracks, 1869, Ms in Swindon Reference Library).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.