You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 31933  

Print Page



© Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS

IoE Number: 31933
Location: THE PRIORY, 19 CHURCH SQUARE
  NORTON RADSTOCK, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 19 May 1950
Date of last amendment: 19 May 1950
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

5120CHURCH SQUAREMidsomer-NortonNo 19 (The Priory)ST 6654 4/119.5.50II*

1. 5120 CHURCH SQUARE Midsomer-Norton No 19 (The Priory) ST 6654 4/1 19.5.50 II* 2. Early-mid C17. Rubble with rusticated ashlar quoins, slate roof with coped verges and ashlar chimneys. Two storeys. Three windows, 2 light casements with moulded wooden mullions on 1st floor. Two windows, 3 light stone mullion casements on ground floor. All windows have rectangular drip-moulds. Square headed doorway with architrave surround and triple keystone, apparently early C18, tall large semi-circular hollow stone hood on cut stone brackets. Eight panel door, upper 4 glazed. Later 2 storey wing to left, one window. Projecting early C19 brick walls with ramped stone coping, and arched entrance to right hand part and niches. To rear a gabled stair turret. Interior: hall has dado height Gothick panelling,formerly part of the galleries in Parish Church of St John The Baptist (q.v); arched door to stairs. Ground floor east room, restored Tudor arch fireplace with salt cupboard, cross beamed ceiling. Ground floor west room, deep and wide fireplace formerly with traces of running scroll painting. Two of the doors to west side on ground floor are C17 plank doors. This house has been considerably adapted. In 1712 it was sold by Christ Church, Oxford: the front probably dates from then. There are considerable traces of an older dwelling incorporated, partly timber-framed. One internal wall gives the perch measure (now covered). To rear, above the modernised kitchen, is a former schoolroom.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.