© Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS
PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, THE STREET (west side)
NORTON RADSTOCK, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS
06 October 2002
19 May 1950
Date of last amendment:
19 May 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
5120 THE STREET
Parish Church of
ST 6854 5/29 19.5.50
C15 west tower and late mediaeval south wall and porch (possibly early C15).
Rest rebuilt 1879 in Geometric style, architect William Willcox of Bath. Five
bay nave with north aisle, 3 bay chancel with vestry to north. Coursed limestone
rubble with weathered buttresses. Slate roof with polychromatic bands. The
west tower is of 3 low stages, upper, crenellated, stage possibly a later addition;
outer diagonal buttresses; angled stair turret to north; cornice and corner
gargoyles; stepped and moulded plinth; west door replaced by window; Decorated
style 2 light cusped belfry windows.
South nave windows: 3 square headed Perpendicular style replacing original
windows and 2 poor geometric type (see also on north side). South porch has
C19 gable but retains late C15 doorway with canopied niche over (wild-man corbel),
barrel vault inside with quatrefoils and bosses with animals and faces.
Vestry has intricate rose window and angled chimney.
Interior: south wall retains mediaeval features, eg rood loft stair (narrow
opening) and cusped piscina. Lop-sided Norman font, a cylinder with cable-moulding.
Highly ornamental pulpit of 1888, octagonal on column with mosaics, marble
and a statue of St. Nicholas. Heavily carved oak parclose screen in Perpendicular
style to chancel arch. Stone carved 5 bay reredos of circa 1874. Good Gothick
organ in archway to north of chancel. Important fragments at west end: Roman
inscription and an early C15 rood with Virgin on reverse and churchyard cross-shaft.
Graveyard entered from north-east by 2 gate piers with blind tracery panels.
Two lightly carved early C19 head stones to right of porch (one on wall).
Two chest tombs, the one nearest the church mid-C18 with carved piers; the
other, close to south porch, to William Lansdown, (died 1793) with oval inscription
panel, angel busts and cabriole corner piers.