You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 320267  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 320267
Location: ASHCOMBE HOUSE,
  BERWICK ST JOHN, SALISBURY, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 27 July 1985
Date of last amendment: 27 July 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 92 SWBERWICK ST. JOHN-5/41Ashcombe HouseGVII

ST 92 SW BERWICK ST. JOHN - 5/41 Ashcombe House GV II Country house. Early C18, altered C19 and 1930s. English bond brick, tiled hipped roof, brick stacks. L-plan, the truncated remains of a larger house. 2-storey, 4-window. 1930s Gibbs surround with scrolled pediment to doorway, to right is one 9-pane sash with decorative leading and to left are 2 sashes with decorative leading; all are segmental-headed with keystones. First floor has four similar 9-pane sashes. Moulded stone cornice and blocking course with limestone coping. Right return has two 6-pane sashes to ground floor. Left return has lean-to extension to ground floor and 9-pane sashes to first floor. Rear, garden front has three 9-pane sashes with segmental heads and keystones, French windows, first floor has 1930s 18-pane sash lighting stairs and two 9-pane sashes. Interior not accessible at time of survey (March 1985), but said to have Chinese Chippendale stairs, most of fittings are probably C20. A large house built on this site by Barber family in late C17, altered by them and subsequently partly demolished in mid C18 by Sir Walter Grove; present small house is a survival of the eastern wing. Occupied by the society photographer, Cecil Beaton, between 1930 and 1947, when the house was renovated. (C. Beaton, Ashcombe-The Story of a Fifteen Year Lease, 1949 (illustrated); N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975; Early C18 painting in Salisbury Museum.)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.