You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 320806  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Kingsland

IoE Number: 320806
Location: GROTTO TO NORTH EAST OF OLD WARDOUR CASTLE, (east side)
  DONHEAD ST ANDREW, SALISBURY, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Brian Kingsland
Date Photographed: 06 August 2002
Date listed: 06 July 1987
Date of last amendment: 06 July 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

DONHEAD ST. ANDREWWARDOUR PARKST 92 NW(east side)4/308Grotto to north east ofOld Wardour Castle

DONHEAD ST. ANDREW WARDOUR PARK ST 92 NW (east side) 4/308 Grotto to north east of Old Wardour Castle GV II Grotto. 1792 by Josiah Lane of Tisbury. Tufa limestone. Situated on bank near north east line of bailey wall and approached up flight of wide stone steps, several entrances and rocky niches at different levels, interior with rocky tunnels. Built within the bailey of Old Wardour Castle (q.v.) as part of the landscape scheme to create pleasure gardens at Old Wardour; Richard Woods was employed by Eighth Lord Arundell between 1764 and 1771, Capability Brown worked here from 1773. Also see grottoes at Fonthill (q.v.). (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; D. Stroud, Capability Brown, 1979)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.