You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32147  

Print Page



© Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS

IoE Number: 32147
Location: PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, NORTHEND (west side)
  BATHEASTON, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS
Date Photographed: 09 February 2001
Date listed: 01 February 1956
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1956
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 7767BATHEASTON C.P.NORTHEND(West side)7/1051.2.56Parish Church of St. Johnthe Baptist

ST 7767 BATHEASTON C.P. NORTHEND (West side) 7/105 1.2.56 Parish Church of St. John the Baptist G.V. II* Parish Church. C12th church, remodelled late C15th; west tower and nave rebuilt mid C19th; north aisle, c. 1834 by John Pinch, the Younger of Bath; restored by F. Preedy; south aisle and south porch c,1866-1868 by F. Preedy of Worcester and London; chancel c.1860. Coursed squared rubble; Cotswold stone slate roof on chancel, slate roofs elsewhere. West tower: 4 stages with pierced embattled parapet; setback buttresses; projecting octagonal stairs, turret at south-east which terminates in spirelet; pointed perpendicular 2-light windows with cusped heads; east side has canopied niche containing figure, probably St. John. South aisle: south wall is identical in design with original south wall of nave; it was simply moved and rebuilt by Preedy; variety of perpendicular windows; vestigial and now anachronistic protrusion for rood stair. South porch: also moved and rebuilt in facsimile by Preedy incorporating mediaeval work; panelled perpendicular parapet; depressed ogee hood to south door, heavily moulded with fleurons in hollow chamfer. Chancel: all 1860 with geometric east window. Sanctus bell cote on the east gable of nave. Interior: 5 bag nave with perpendicular arcade, probably of 1834 to north and 1868 to south. 2 bay chancel. Fonts: (1) octagonal on baluster stem, c,1700-1715; (2) 1869; Reredos, 1878. 18th wall tablet on south chancel wall. Dobbie B.M.W., An English Rural Community, 1969.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.