You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32345  

Print Page



© Mr John Peters

IoE Number: 32345
Location: PARISH CHURCH OF ST JULIAN, HIGH STREET (north side)
  WELLOW, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Peters
Date Photographed: 08 February 2007
Date listed: 01 February 1956
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1956
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 7458WELLOW C.P.HIGH STREET(North side)12/71.2.56Parish Church of St. JulianG.V.

ST 7458 WELLOW C.P. HIGH STREET (North side) 12/7 1.2.56 Parish Church of St. Julian G.V. I Parish Church of St. Julian. Founded prior to C12th; it is suggested but without evidence that the present church was built c.1372 by Sir Thomas Hungerford; late C14th/C15th; restored with new chancel, 1845 by B. Ferrey; present chancel 1889-90 by Bodley and Garner; recent restoration completed 1952 by W. Caroe, the younger. West tower. Nave with clerestory (1430), North and South aisles; South Porch; Chancel, North (Hungerford) Chapel. Ashlar; partly rubble to porch and east part of south aisle; Cotswold stone slate roofs with slate roof to chancel. Embattled parapets. West Tower: 3 stages, set back buttresses with off-sets which turn into diagonal pinnacles in upper stages; embattled parapet with pinnacles; square stair turret on south-east corner, terminates as octagon; 3-light window to bell chamber with cusped heads; similar but larger window with transom to west; west door has hollow chamfer and ogee moulded surround with 4-centred arch lintel and drip mould, arms carved in spandrels, heads as label stops (1975) are Edward Henderson, Bishop of Bath and Wells and Major Horton-Fawkes, patron of the living. South aisle: Two 3-light windows to west of porch with 4-centre arch lintels, drip moulds with diamond label stops; to east of porch 4-light square headed window with cusped heads, drip mould and carved label stops; angle buttress with pinnacle to west, low buttress to east with scratch dial. North aisle: 3- and 4-light square headed windows. Rood stair turret: c. 1430-50; projects in re-entrant angle between south aisle and chancel; polygonal east face; embattled parapet with pinnacle. Chancel: in matching Perpendicular style; 3-light windows under 4-centred arch lintels; decorative finial on apex of east gable; 5-light east window. South Porch: Rendered to front; diagonal buttresses with pinnacles; ashlar plain parapet which is ramped up at front to form concave sided gable, central pinnacle and niche below containing modern (?C19th) figure of St. Julian; embattled parapets to sides; heavily moulded door surround. Interior South Porch. Fine C 14th south door with 6-lights of blank panels below and reticulated cusped tracery above; heavily moulded, restored door surround; 2 carved niches above; carved angel corbels to proch roof. Nave. 4 bays with typical Perpendicular moulding of 4 hollows and 4 engaged columns; panelled and decorated Perpendicular roof (restored) with corbels, carved as angels; many Perpendicular benches with poppy heads and simple panelled tracery on ends, (Some on fronts or backs). Tower. Arch of similar Perpendicular moulding; tierceron vault with central bell rope opening. Rood. Finely carved and decorated Perpendicular rood screen of c.1430; rood loft and rood itself are by W. Caroe, the younger, 1952. Squints to either side of rood screen, with cusped heads. Chancel. c.1889-90 with fittings of that date; 8 carved heads, early C14th, of kings and bishops set below first south window; 4 further heads, 2 to either side of east window; restored piscina. North (Hungerford) Chapel: c.1443; moulded, carved and painted screen; panelled and decorated roof; probably Easter Sepulchre in north wall, panels of quatrefoils below, 4-centred arch head with cusped panels, inscription (about building of chapel) reads "For the love of Jesu and Mary's sake Pray for them that this lete make"; on east, wall paintings of c.1500 of Christ and 12 Apostles; carved and painted niche head in north-east corner, tomb chest to Dorothy Popham, 1614, heavily mannered Jacobean Ionic columns and entablature, strapwork and arms above; other tablets to the Hungerfords, Ursula (1645), Susanna (1652), Giles (1638). North aisle: carved effigy of priest, c.1400 in 4 centred arch headed recess; Font at west end, possibly c.1250 on Romanesque base, 8 lobed bowl on circular foot with 8 attached shafts; painted ogee shaped cover, 1623. South aisle. Monument to John Hodson, 1733 with oredicule Warrior Chapel at east end - elaborate cartouche to Thomas Scudamore, 1718; piscina. Pevsner (1958) Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.