You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 323684  

Print Page



© Mrs Margaret Gibson

IoE Number: 323684
Location: BARDEN TOWER, B 6160 (east side)
  BARDEN, CRAVEN, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Margaret Gibson
Date Photographed: 08 September 2002
Date listed: 10 September 1954
Date of last amendment: 10 September 1954
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BARDENB (6160SE 05 NE(east side)6/31Barden Tower10.9.54

BARDEN B (6160 SE 05 NE (east side) 6/31 Barden Tower 10.9.54 GV 1 Fortified house, now ruinous. Mid C16, restored in lo58-9. Ashlar and rubblestone. Rectangular in plan, an L-shaped addition to the south-east corner. Main house: 3 storeys, 4 bays. Small chamfered four-centred arched doorway to left of bay 2 with tablet above bearing inscription "This Barden Tower was repayred by the Ladie Anne Clifforde Countesse Dowager of Pembrooke, Dorsett and Montgomery Baronesse Clifforde Westmorland and Vescie. Lady of the Honor of Skipton in Craven and High Sherriffesse by inheritance of Countie of Westmorland in the years 1658 and 1659 after it had layne ruinous ever since about 1589 when her mother then lay in itt and was greate with child with her till nowe that itt was repayred by the said Lady. Isa Chap 58 Ver 12 'Gods Home be praised.". Left-hand bay has a lancet. Bays 2 and 4 have chamfered openings of large 3-light windows with hoodmoulds and relieving arches. The bay between is flanked by remains of walls and has a large double-chamfered, four-centred arched opening. First floor: left bay has a chamfered 2-light mullioned window with four-centred arched heads to lights, hoodmould. Bays 2 and 4 have similar large 3-light windows. To bay 3 a large plain four-centred arched opening. Second floor: openings are ruinous and open at the top, except that to bay 3 which is of one light. Left return: external stack to right of chamfered 4-centred arched door. To left a squared chamfered opening, to right of stack a chamfered opening. Above 2 chamfered lancets above a 2-light chamfered mullioned window with four-centred arched lights, hoodmould. Similar window above of 3 lights. Right return: similar. Rear: ruinous with small rectangular openings. L-shaped addition: 3 storeys, bays. Left-hand bay set back, chamfered doorway, chamfered 2-light windows above, one over the other. Right-hand bay: blind. Band, parapet. Rear: large external stack. A late medieval tower house of Lord Clifford, 'the shepherd Lord'; of interest as a small fortification with domestic amenities. Also a scheduled ancient monument (Yorkshire, West Riding) No 123.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.