© Mr John Turner
PRIORY OF ST MARY, B 6160 (east off)
BOLTON ABBEY, CRAVEN, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Mr John Turner
04 September 2000
10 September 1954
Date of last amendment:
10 September 1954
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
BOLTON ABBEY B 6160
SE 05 SE (east side, off)
8/69 Priory of St Mary
Remains of the Priory of St Mary. C12, C13, C14. Ashlar and rubblestone.
Transepts and chancel, remains of other priory buildings only at foundation
level. Nave now the parish church of St Mary. South transept: C13, 2 bays,
only west wall survives, offset angle buttress with pinnacle, Decorated
style pointed arched windows with no tracery. North transept: C13, 2 bays,
offset angle buttresses, east side retains 2 bay arcade with triple-
chamfered pointed arches on octagonal pier and above 3-light cusped
recticulated traceried windows with four-centred arches, continuous
hoodmould. Remains of an east chapel. West side has C13 doorcase and large
Decorated window without tracery. Chancel: C12, C13, C14. 5 bays, bays
defined by offset buttresses, east end has offset angle buttresses, that to
south has a pinnacle. Bay 3 has a four-centred arched doorway with a
pointed arched opening to its right. Windows are large pointed arched of
the Decorated period; one to west of south side retains tracery of 3 lights.
Large east window of same period, has no tracery, above a small pointed
arched niche. Interior: in the west of the chancel is intersecting late C12
blank arcading with round-headed arches on scalloped and waterleaf capitals.
The crossing piers have scalloped capitals and double-or triple-chamfered
pointed arches. Tomb recess in the north wall, remains of the sedilia in
the south wall. Priory was a house of Augustinian canons, suppressed in
1539. Also a scheduled ancient monument (Yorkshire, West Riding) No 610.