You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32431  

Print Page



© Mr James Ryall LRPS

IoE Number: 32431
Location: COMBE HAY MANOR,
  COMBE HAY, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr James Ryall LRPS
Date Photographed: 07 October 1999
Date listed: 01 February 1956
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1956
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 75 NWCOMBE HAY10/17Combe Hay Manor1.2.56

ST 75 NW COMBE HAY 10/17 Combe Hay Manor 1.2.56 G.V. I Manor house. In two phases: the western part is c.1728-30 and has been attributed to John Strahan of Bristol; the east and south elevations are c.1770-75 and have many similarities to the work of James Wyatt or George Steuart; for Robert Smith and his son, John. Ashlar with hipped slate roofs behind a blocking course, modillioned cornice, and pulvinated frieze to the west front; ashlar stacks. 2 storeys and attics in hipped dormers, and basement to east side. The west front has 3:2:3 bays : the central bays are marked by Giant Ionic pilasters which support a pediment. Glazing bar sash windows in lugged and moulded architraves with cills on brackets; pulvinated frieze and dentilled cornice over ground floor windows; bays 2 and 7 are blocked. The central feature is a Venetian window with Ionic pilasters to the outer lights; the central light is a blank, round-headed niche with an elaborate keystone which supports a shield of arms (John Smith and his wife, post 1775) surrounded by an enriched rococo cartouche. The south front has 3 bays: the outer windows are tall tripartite glazing bar sashes divided by Tuscan pilasters which support a frieze with paterae and a pediment; central glazed doorway in a Tuscan column doorcase with fluted capitals and a plain entablature, and a shallow semi-circular niche over. The ends of the elevation break forward as wide pilasters and are decorated with tall round- headed niches on the ground floor and oval niches above. The east front of 7 bays has glazing bar sash windows without surrounds; central panelled door under an overlight and in a doorcase with paired half-columns, side lights, all surmounted by a pediment. Interior. Hall: coved ceiling and enriched frieze; screen at west-end of 2 Tuscan columns with fluted capitals; panelled doors in enriched surrounds with paterae and moulded cornice. Drawing Room: anthemion frieze; oval ceiling (a Wyatt drawing for a similar but circular ceiling survives in the Victoria and Albert Museum) with scalloped centre which is surrounded by 16 linked oval panels bordered with leaves; 4 oval corner panels painted with grisaille of cherubs; marble neo-classical fireplace; panelled doors in architraves with frieze as main frieze. Dining Room: apsidal niche at north end, enriched with plasterwork; enriched frieze; panelled doors with enriched frieze; marble fireplace. On the west side of the house are four rooms with features of the 1728-30 period. Oak Room: plain fielded panelling and modillioned cornice; 8-panel doors in enriched and lugged architraves and under pediments; overmantel surround by guilloche moulding with side volutes, open segmental pediment with shield and swags, enriched frieze; on the opposite wall is a panel in an enriched surround with side volutes, bay leaf frieze and swan-neck pediment with central shell and C-scrolls. Morning Room: fielded panelling with enriched cornice; 8-panel doors in lugged architraves and under dentilled pediments; coloured marble fire-surround; overmantel of a central panel with swags and a female head under a shell, side volutes and segmental pediment with egg and dart cornice; flanking the fireplace are fluted Doric pilasters which support a triglyph frieze with decorative metopes; similar treatment to opposite wall but with a central mirror in an enriched surround. Staircase Hall: oval glazed lantern with enriched frieze. On the first floor west are 3 panelled rooms with dentilled cornices, each with a 1728-30 fire surround: at the south, lugged architrave and overmantel with a relief bust flanked by swags, all set on a panel which is surmounted by a pediment (illustrated in Gibbs' Book of Architecture, 1728); in the centre, lugged architrave and overmantel with a fielded panel, side volutes and a segmental pediment; in the centre north, lugged surround with a bold egg and dart moulding and an overmantel in an enriched border. (Country Life, 9.III.1951, 16.III.1951. N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.