You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32468  

Print Page

No Image Available

IoE Number: 32468
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 01 February 1956
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1956
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

COMPTON DANDOQUEEN CHARLTONST 66 NW2/50Church of St. Margaret1.2.56II*

COMPTON DANDO QUEEN CHARLTON ST 66 NW 2/50 Church of St. Margaret 1.2.56 II* G.V. GV Anglican parish church. Late C12, altered C13 and C15; restored. Consists of nave and north porch, central tower, north transept, chancel and remains of south chapel. Coursed rubble with freestone quoins and dressings, ashlar to upper parts of tower; lead roof over nave, plain and fishscale tiles elsewhere. The central tower is C12, altered in the C15 and restored in the C19; 2 full stages are visible above the body of the church; 2-light round-headed windows set within a large round-headed opening and under a hoodmould, all with continuous roll mouldings; diagonal buttresses with off-sets; parapet with pierced arcading, pinnacles and gargoyles; 2-light Perpendicular style bell chamber windows with blank arcading and under dripmoulds with diamond stops; 2-light Perpendicular style with cusped ogee head, on lowest stage of south side of tower, infilling an earlier arch; polygonal stairtower projects at north-east. Nave has C19 Perpendicular style window and C19 projecting north porch. North transept with 3-light Perpendicular style window; buttresses with off-sets at sides. Chancel: 2-light C19 Perpendicular style north window; 3-light east with Geometrical style tracery; projection on south side. Interior. The tower arches are pointed and single stepped, those to the nave and chancel have half-columns with scalloped capitals; blocked doorway with 4-centred head above north arch. The south side of the Chancel has a 2 bay arcade to the now removed south chapel; early - mid C13 with octagonal central pier which has a capital enriched with stiff-leaf, animal head and a human head in a head-dress; west respond has minimal stiff-leaf enrichment; more complete east respond is enriched with a beast's and a human head bitten by beasts, double chamfered arches. Book rest on north wall is set on a carved and crowned female head. Font is C12, ashlar, a cylindrical stem, an octagonal bowl with a cushion base. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.