You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32498  

Print Page



© Mr David J Lewis LRPS

IoE Number: 32498
Location: ALL SAINTS' CHURCH, WELLS ROAD (south side)
  CORSTON, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr David J Lewis LRPS
Date Photographed: 18 September 2007
Date listed: 01 February 1956
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1956
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 66 NECORSTONWELLS ROAD (south side)3/80All Saints' Church1.2.56II

ST 66 NE CORSTON WELLS ROAD (south side) 3/80 All Saints' Church 1.2.56 II G.V. Anglican parish church. C12, altered C13 and C15 and C16; north aisle, vestry, and porch and full restoration 1864-65 by B. Ferrey. Consists of west tower, nave, north aisle and porch, and chancel. Coursed and snecked rubble with freestone dressings; plain tiled roof with coped raised verges and cross finials. Low west tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses with off-sets; plain embattled parapet with pinnacles; set back octagonal ashlar spire; single-light lancet openings to bell chamber; the west window on the second stage is dated 1622, of 2-lights in ovolo moulded surrounds and with 4-centred heads, under arched hood mould with square stops; 3-light restored first stage window under relieving arch; C17 studded plank door under cambered head; square stairtower to north-east. North aisle: 2 C19 Geometric style 2-light windows; buttresses with off-sets. Porch: outer doorway in Early English style with one order of columns which have foliate capitals; the inner doorway is round-headed with a roll moulding. Chancel: north side has 3 cusped lancet windows in double hollow chamfered surrounds and priests' door in similar surround; south windows are also cusped lancets but in single hollow chamfered surrounds; all windows have deep embrasures and rere-arches; C19 3-light stepped lancet east window. Nave: one window as chancel and 2 C19 3-light cusped windows. Projecting gabled south porch. Interior. 3 bay arcade of 1865. Font and pulpit are C19 and C20. Royal arms over north door, dated 1660. 2 Harington monuments in the chancel: Benjamin, died 1711 and Mary, died 1732, both baroque marble tablets with pilasters, winged skull and arms to Benjamin, gadrooned base to pilasters and arms to Mary.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.