You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32516  

Print Page



© Mr MJ Hislop

IoE Number: 32516
Location: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST,
  HINTON CHARTERHOUSE, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr MJ Hislop
Date Photographed: 21 August 1999
Date listed: 01 February 1956
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1956
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 75 NEHINTON CHARTERHOUSE11/114Church of St John theBaptist1.2.56

ST 75 NE HINTON CHARTERHOUSE 11/114 Church of St John the Baptist 1.2.56 G.V. II* Parish church. C12, altered early-mid C13 and extended by south chapel and porch; tower restored 1770; north aisle of 1825; restored 1846 by Edward Davis of Bath and windows restored in 1897. Consists of west tower, nave, north aisle, south chapel and porch, and chancel. Rubble and coursed rubble with freestone dressings; stone slate roof. Late C12 or early C13 broad west tower of 3 stages, the upper being C18, unbuttressed with small lancet windows and quoins to the lower stages and Gothick style Y-tracery to the bell chamber; embattled parapet and moulded cornice; 3-light C19 Perpendicular style west window and doorway. North aisle of four (1897) Perpendicular style windows under square hoodmoulds. Projecting, gabled south porch; the outer doorway has a moulded arch with a fillet, and stiff- leaf corbels, chamfered outer surround and a hood mould on carved head stops. South chapel: one plain lancet window in a deep embrasure and one 2-light late C13 style window with cusped lancets and a quatrefoil; 3-light east window with lancets to the outer lights and a trefoil to the centre. Chancel: one 2-light window with plain lancets and an unfoiled circle above and cusped rere-arch; a smaller 2-light window with cusped lancets and a sexfoil above; priest's door under an arched head and in a heavy outer moulding; C19 Geometric style east win- dow. Interior: 2 bay arcade with continuous chamfered arches to south chapel. Triple chamfered tower arch. 3 bay arcade to north aisle on octagonal piers. Pulpit: C19 in a Perpendicular style. Font: C12 tub shaped bowl enriched with a zig-zag moulding at the top. Monuments. Funeral hatchment in north aisle; and baroque style monument to Robert Painter, died 1735, fluted pilasters, gad- rooned bases, cherubs on plinth and heavily moulded cornice. Tower: John and Margaret Shutt, died 1668, inscribed plaque with memento mori tablet above. South chapel: Walter Robinson, died 1737, large tablet of grey marbles, inscribed plaque with pedimented top and side consoles: Painter family, 1809, coloured marbles, weeping woman and an urn. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, 1958.)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.