You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32713  

Print Page



© Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS

IoE Number: 32713
Location: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE,
  MARKSBURY, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS
Date Photographed: 26 August 1999
Date listed: 01 February 1954
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1954
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 66 SEMARKSBURY C.P.STANTON PRIOR2/20Church of St. Lawrence e1.2.54

ST 66 SE MARKSBURY C.P. STANTON PRIOR 2/20 Church of St. Lawrence e 1.2.54 G.V. II* Anglican Parish Church. C12/C13 origin, mainly C15 and heavy restoration of 1860. Rubble, freestone dressings, slate and double roman tile roofs with weathered, raised coped verges. West tower, nave, north porch, chancel. Mainly Perpendicular. 3-stage tower with polygonal north-east stair turret and weathered, diagonal buttresses; first stage has a sharp pointed 2-light west window, Decorated of 1860, second stage is blank except at south which has a single square light, third stage has one 2-light window under hoodmould, trefoil- pierced blanking, per side; castellated parapet, corner crocketed finials. The buttressed nave is wider than tower, one of which buttresses it engulfs, to south are two 2-light, cusped windows with hoodmoulds flanked by 2 similar single lights, ashlar parapet, scratch dial, to north a similar single light and parapet are dominated by a very large and deep north porch, gabled with very thick walls bearing, to east, good C17 tablets, pointed arch springing from chamfered impost; within, a similar opening is filled by a low almost segmental headed door under an empty image niche, large recess and shelf in east wall, stoup. Chancel has to north one cusped single light and one lancet, tripartite, pointed east windows under continuous string, all of 1860, at south 2 cusped single lights flank a chamfered round headed door dated 1634. Interior: heavy chamfered tower arch, wagon roof with brattished wall-plate and bosses, some armorial, stoup in wall thickness by porch, image niche in south wall, lancet in chancel cut from C12 fragment. Fittings: plain octagonal font, C12? One good monument: Cox, 1650. Man and wife kneel by draped urn and skull below flying arcade, unlearned pilasters carry elaborate frieze and open pediment with headless figure, below children kneel around text plaque, below that apron with putto. (Source. N. Pevsner. The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.