You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32785  

Print Page



© Mr MJ Hislop

IoE Number: 32785
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE (east side)
  FARMBOROUGH, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr MJ Hislop
Date Photographed: 16 August 1999
Date listed: 21 September 1960
Date of last amendment: 21 September 1960
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 66 SEFARMBOROUGHCHURCH LANE (east side)3/45Church of All Saints21.9.60II*

ST 66 SE FARMBOROUGH CHURCH LANE (east side) 3/45 Church of All Saints 21.9.60 II* Anglican parish church. C15 west tower, C18 fenestration to nave, late C18 remodelling to chancel, 1869 restoration including new north aisle by J.E. Gill of Bath. Squared and coursed rubble, stone dressings, ashlar to tower, parapet and stair turret, slate roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle, north porch. Nave south wall has three 2-light round-headed lights under flat heads and south wall has three 2-light round-headed lights under flat heads and blocked round- headed C18 doorway with keystone; one C19 cusped single light. Chancel has similar light on south wall, a 3-light C19 east window with cinquefoil tracery and angel stops and Gothick battlements with crocket on gable apex. Tower of 3 stages with setback buttresses, polygonal north east corner stair turret and embattled parapet with crocketted pinnacles and animal gargoyles at each corner. West facade has a 4-centred arched doorway in moulded architrave with hoodmould and C19 2-leaf plank door. Above this one 3-light cusped Perpendicular window with pointed head and continuous dripmould and further single cusped light with straight head. 1st and 2nd stage string courses, 2-light cusped bell openings under pointed heads. Other faces blank except north facade which has clock set across 2nd stage string course. North aisle has two 2-light C19 neo-Early English windows with rosettes and uncut stops; aisle west window is similar of 3 lights. Gabled north porch with pointed headed chamfered doorway and uncarved statue niche. North plank door under pointed head. Interior. Nave has 1869 four-bay arcade giving onto north aisle, triple chamfered tower arch, trefoil headed piscina on south wall near tower arch and barrel roof. Fittings. Nave has fine painted glass of 1838 brought from Christ Church, Brighton and inspired by the Reynolds window in New College, Oxford, inserted into tower arch within 3-light wooden frame. C19 stone pulpit with trefoil arcading and Purbeck marble shafts. Fine 1931 memorial stained glass window in south wall. Perpendicular octagonal font with quatrefoil panels and C19 wooden cover near north door. Chancel has 1822 neo-Classical monument on south wall. Some C19 stained glass in north aisle west window. (Pevsner, Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958; signed drawing by architect showing new pew layout on wall near north door).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.