You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32831  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Merrett

IoE Number: 32831
Location: SUTTON COURT,
  STOWEY SUTTON, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Peter Merrett
Date Photographed: 27 February 2005
Date listed: 21 September 1960
Date of last amendment: 21 September 1960
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 56 SESTOWEY-SUTTONSTOWEY1/91 Sutton Court21.9.60G.V. II*

ST 56 SE STOWEY-SUTTON STOWEY 1/91 Sutton Court 21.9.60 G.V. II* Former fortified manor, now country house. Early C14 with additions and alterations in c.1450, 1558, c.1700 and an extensive restructuring and restoration by T.H. Wyatt in 1858-60. Squared and coursed sandstone rubble throughout with freestone and ashlar dressings, copings, slate roofs. North front comprises a central 3 storey C14 pele tower with taller circular stair turret and 2 storey ranges linking it to 1558 'Bess of Hardwick Building' to the left and a 4-bay 1858- 60 servants' wing of 3 storeys to the right. Windows to pele tower and right hand linking range are C15 of 2 cusped lights with hoodmoulds, some renewed, some relocated from other areas. 1858-60 doorway to tower. Windows to left hand linking range and 'Hardwick Building' are 4 and 6-light chamfered mullions. 2 storey 'Hardwick' range has diagonal offset buttresses. C18 battlements to pele tower, tall octagonal ashlar stacks. The irregularity of the south front was re-emphasised by Wyatt who created a 7 bay, 2 storey range with 3 gabled canted bays, one end advanced bay and a central advanced porch with bay window above. Fenestration almost entirely C19 six-light chamfered mullions. Central doorway with bolection surround and semi-circular hood on ornately carved brackets. Armorial shield above doorway and sundial to parapet with datestone: HS/1734. Interior. At time of resurvey (July 1985) the rooms were being treated for dry rot. All mediaeval features disappeared in Wyatt's thorough restoration except the roof structure to the 'Hardwick Building' which survives above the C19 coved ceiling: through purlin roof with collar and tie beams and arched windbraces. Several Wyatt fireplaces. Manor built by William de Sutton, Elizabeth Hardwick, Lady St. Loe owned it in 1558 and the Wyatt restoration and rebuilding was carried out for Sir Edward Strachey. (J. Collinson, History of Somerset, 1791; Country Life, 22 January 1910; R. Cooke, West Country Houses, 1957; Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.