You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32855  

Print Page



© Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS

IoE Number: 32855
Location: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET (south side)
  PAULTON, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 21 September 1960
Date of last amendment: 21 September 1960
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

PAULTON C.P.CHURCH STREET (south side)ST 65 NW1/3Church of the Holy Trinity21.9.60G.V.II*

PAULTON C.P. CHURCH STREET (south side) ST 65 NW 1/3 Church of the Holy Trinity 21.9.60 G.V. II* Anglican Parish Church. Dated 1757 and 1839, the latter by John Pinch. Ashlar, freestone dressings, slate roof. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, north porch, chancel, south chapel, north organ chamber. Square tower of 3 stages with set-back buttresses and full-height circular stair turret, first stage has plinth, tudor-arch west door with heavy moulding and a good plank door below a small ogee-headed window, (strings between stages also appear between buttresses), second stage has quatrefoil to west, at third stage the buttresses peter out with crocketted finials, each side has a 2-light pointed window below a hoodmould with quatrefoil pierced tracery, then ogee quatrefoils, that to west with date (clockwise 1757 seems most likely),then ogee frieze as corbel table below quatrefoil pierced parapet with obelisk corner finials, tower stands at west end of north aisle of church of 1831. Gabled nave has 3-light pointed, cusped west window, buttressed aisles have 4 similar 2-light windows, one over south door under label, one absent at site of gabled north porch with moulded, pointed arch below date scroll, diagonal buttressed, gabled chancel has 3-light, pointed east window as elsewhere, similar 2-lights to north and south gabled chapels. Interior. 4-bay Perpendicular arcade, shafts on very thin piers, very rich, small chancel with mock hammer beams with angels, nave roof of arch-braced queen post construction with tracery spandrels. Fittings: octagonal font of C16?, stone pulpit, perpendicular details as in local tradition, complete set of pews with poppy heads. Monument: at west end of south aisle is a C14 chivalic figure under hood with head stops. (Source: N. Pevsner : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol : ig58).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.