© Mr David J Lewis LRPS
CHOLERA MONUMENT, IN THE CHURCHYARD 15 METRES SOUTH OF THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET (south side)
PAULTON, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr David J Lewis LRPS
04 April 2007
02 May 1986
Date of last amendment:
02 May 1986
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
PAULTON C.P. CHURCH STREET (south side)
ST 65 NW
1/4 Cholera monument, in the churchyard
and 15 metres south of Church of the
Memorial, boundary and marker stones. Early/mid C19. Freestone, ashlar.
A square enclosure marked by dressed stones, at east stands a 0.5 metre high plain
pointed stone with text: BOUNDARY/OF/CHOLERA/BURIAL/GROUND. At west stands a
pediment topped, ashlar insertion in wall on which an haut relief urn surmounts a
tablet with text: IN MEMORY OF/23 MEN, 23 WOMEN AND 26 CHILDREN/INTERRED WITHIN
THIS ENCLOSURE/WHO FELL VICTIM TO THAT DREADFUL/SCOURGE, ASIATIC CHOLERA, WITH/
WHICH IT PLEASED THE ALMIGHTY TO/VISIT THIS PARISH FROM THE 28TH/SEPTEMBER TO THE
1OTH NOVEMBER/1832. WHEN, UNDER THE DIRECTING/ARM OF A BOUNTIFUL PROVIDENCE/BY
THE SKILL AND ATTENTION OF THE/MEDICAL MEN, AND BY THE CHARITABLE/DONATIONS OF THE
SURROUNDING/NEIGHBOURHOOD, IT CEASED/"AND HE STOOD BETWEEN THE LIVING AND/THE DEAD
AND THE PLAGUE WAS STAYED"/RESTORED, 1966.