You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32873  

Print Page

No Image Available

IoE Number: 32873
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 21 September 1960
Date of last amendment: 21 September 1960
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TIMSBURY C.P.-ST 65 NE2/21Parish's House21.9.60

TIMSBURY C.P. - ST 65 NE 2/21 Parish's House 21.9.60 G.V. II* House. Circa 1816 massive extension of earlier house, now office wing. Attributed to Thomas Baldwin of Bath for Captain Parish R.N. Ashlar, rubble, slate roofs. Main block, 3 bay by 3 bay square, has as unifying features, angle pilasters, flat cill band and cornice, the entrance elevation has all sashes, those at ground floor in marginally set back wings and then in turn in arched recesses, they flank the central bay dominated by a large convex porch with Doric order, side lights and central curved stone door under hood on consoles; garden elevation has a central 2 storey bow,sashes above, french windows below recessed panels between, all still fitted with original sliding louvred shutters, the whole flanked by tri-partite sashes below, sashes above; the joining west elevation is extremely plain, ground has tall sashes, centre blocked below recessed panels, five plain sashes; office wing, also 2 storeys, 3 windows has, to garden 3 sashes above a colonnade now behind a C20 glazed conservatory and to entrance, sashes with, off-centre right a round headed door with fanlight. Interior: very little altered and in very good decorative order, inner porch and top lit stairwell have a very subtle play of curved planes, ornate wrought and cast iron handrail intact as are doors, architraves, cornices, early blown air central heating system. For further description see source. (Source: Christopher Hussey : Country Life, XCVI, 24-27 and 68-71, July, 1944).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.