You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 329526  

Print Page

© Miss Katie McAndrew

IoE Number: 329526
Location: THE RUINS OF THE CASTLE, (south off)
Photographer: Miss Katie McAndrew
Date Photographed: 24 September 2001
Date listed: 25 January 1954
Date of last amendment: 15 July 1985
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE 66 NESHERIFF HUTTONMAIN STREET(south side, off)3/36Sheriff Hutton Castle(Formerly listed as The

SE 66 NE SHERIFF HUTTON MAIN STREET (south side, off) 3/36 Sheriff Hutton Castle (Formerly listed as The 25.1.54 Ruins of the Castle) II* Castle, now ruinous. Begun in 1382 by John, Lord Neville, with C15 gatehouse inserted. Sandstone and limestone rubble. Rectangular on plan with 4 corner towers and remains of curtain walls enclosing inner court of 120 x 100 ft. Gatehouse to north of south-eastern tower, with a poorly aligned intermediate tower to north. Substantial remains of corner towers survive, to 4 storeys in places. Some trefoil headed cusped windows survive and several fireplaces. Gatehouse has 4 shields in relief over first floor window opening. Interior contains some surviving tunnel vaulting to ground floor and cellars, that to north-eastern tower particularly well-preserved. Pevsner "Yorkshire: The North Fading" 1966. Victoria County History 1968.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.