© Mr Iain Sim
CHEW STOKE, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Iain Sim
06 July 2002
21 September 1960
Date of last amendment:
21 September 1960
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST 56 SE CHEW STOKE C.P.
3/61 Paganshill Farmhouse
Farmhouse. C17 origin, rear wing remaining, front block c.1820, with later
alterations and additions. Rubble, rendered, brick, concrete tiled hipped roof
to front block with stacks to sides, double Roman tiled rear roofs. U-plan
formed by rear wing and rear former attached cow-house, now living accommodation.
2-storeys and 3 windows, all 16-pane sashes with keystone and stepped voussoirs,
central Doric porch with panelled frieze and cornice, glazed C20 door; plinth and
string course at cills of first floor windows, bracketted eaves; curtain wall of
single storey height to left with pointed arched door, single storey addition to
right of later C19 with smaller 16-pane sash, parapet wall and coping. Right
return has single storey lean-to along ground floor with pointed arched Y-tracery
panelled door, gable end of earlier farmhouse to right with brick gable stack;
rear of side wing has C20 3-light window with glazing bars. Left return has
single storey and 3 window attached house, formerly cow-house, remodelled C20.
Rear of earlier farmhouse has 3-light C17 casement with timber lintel, iron
stanchions and wooden shutters, timber lintel remaining to left, 4-pane sash above
with timber lintel; inner side has ground floor paired sash with horns and first
floor small 16-pane sash in gable; rear of main house built up over former yard,
has door and small 16-pane sash, first floor of brick with 3 windows, 6 panes each
light; attached to right, former dairy, 2 storeys with hipped roof, has 8-pane
light to inner side at ground floor and 4-pane light with segmental head to rear,
C20 porch in angle with former cow-house. Interior: rear wing has moulded
doorframe, fireplace with cambered lintel and stone jambs, carved wooden panelling
dated 1646 and 1657, possibly removed from Church of St. Andrew (q.v.) at time of