You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32970  

Print Page



© Dr Neil Bentham

IoE Number: 32970
Location: CHEW STOKE SCHOOL, SCHOOL LANE (north side)
  CHEW STOKE, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Dr Neil Bentham
Date Photographed: 14 October 2006
Date listed: 04 December 1986
Date of last amendment: 04 December 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 56 SECHEW STOKE C.PSCHOOL LANE (north side)3/74Chew Stoke SchoolII

ST 56 SE CHEW STOKE C.P SCHOOL LANE (north side) 3/74 Chew Stoke School II School. 1858 by Samuel Burleigh Gabriel on site of former charity school, founded 1718; further classroom built 1926, altered and extended 1970. Coursed squared limestone rubble with stone dressings, plain tiled roofs with raised coped verges. Asymmetrical composition with main school room to south east front. 4-bay irregular front has from left, porch with blocked pointed segmental-headed door, gable to left and 2 C20 windows to front; large gable with finial and datestone, 10-light mullion and transom window with chamfered surround and buttress below; 2nd gabled porch with similar blocked door; gable end of block to right (possibly formerly teacher's accommodation) with 3-light stone bay window at ground floor with relieving arch, 2-light casement with relieving arch at first floor. Right return has at ground floor 2-light, 3-light and single light similar chamfered window with relieving arch, 2nd bay from left has door in later gabled porch, 2 gabled attic windows of 2 lights each; rear has lean-to with C20 door, 2-light window in gable end. Left return has gable end of hall to right with 10-light mullion and transom window, relieving arch and bellcote, buttress to right; rear wing to left has 8-light mullion and transom window and gable above, shouldered door architrave with C20 door, side of hall gable end has door with strap hinges and shouldered architrave; end block to left has 8-light mullion and transom window and gable, C20 single storey flat-roofed addition at end of rear wing. Inner rear side of rear wing has similar 8-light mullion and transom window. Interior: main hall has 6-bay roof, pine boarded with moulded ribs, dedication plaque.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.