You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32974  

Print Page



© Dr Neil Bentham

IoE Number: 32974
Location: FAIRSEAT FARMHOUSE, STOKE HILL (east side)
  CHEW STOKE, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Dr Neil Bentham
Date Photographed: 14 October 2006
Date listed: 04 December 1986
Date of last amendment: 04 December 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 56 SECHEW STOKE C.P.STOKE HILL (east side)3/78Fairseat FarmhouseII

ST 56 SE CHEW STOKE C.P. STOKE HILL (east side) 3/78 Fairseat Farmhouse II Farmhouse, now house. Mid C18, refronted and enlarged c.1860 with later alterations and additions. Coursed limestone rubble, slate roofs with deep bracketted eaves to front, some double Roman tiles. 2 storeys and 3 windows, all 6-pane sashes with wider central pane, central panelled and glazed door, porch with 2 reeded columns on high plinths, frieze with leaf design in centre and cornice, straight joint to right and left, string course above ground floor windows, later C19 lean-to to right with pointed arched door; plaque recording Wesley preaching at the house on 10th September 1790. Left return has single light at attic level, straight joint towards rear and line of roof raising, ground and first floor left have 16-pane sash, smaller at first floor. Right return has small attic light to left and 2-light casement at first floor right; single storey lean-to with C20 door and window. Rear has C20 plate glass window at ground floor left, 16-pane sash above, mid C18 sash ground and first floor centre, 16-pane sash at ground and first floor right, all windows with stone surround and keystone, cellar door to right with strap hinges. In August 1790 Fairseat Farmhouse was "registered among the records of this County as a House set apart for the worship of God and religious exercise for Protestant Dissenters"; at that time belonged to Anna Maria Griffon; copy of document in house. (Sources: Taunton County Record Office).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.