You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32985  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Bassingham

IoE Number: 32985
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY,
  NEMPNETT THRUBWELL, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Peter Bassingham
Date Photographed: 01 June 2002
Date listed: 21 September 1960
Date of last amendment: 21 September 1960
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 56 SWNEMPNETT THRUBWELL C.P.2/90Church of St. Mary21.9.60G.V.II*

ST 56 SW NEMPNETT THRUBWELL C.P. 2/90 Church of St. Mary 21.9.60 G.V. II* Parish church. C12 origin, C15, chancel and vestry of 1897. Limestone rubble with stone dressings, tower of squared rubble, chancel and vestry in ashlar, east wall of chancel and whole vestry in sandstone, slate roofs with raised coped verges and cross finials to gables, some double Roman tiles. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel and north vestry. Part of Norman style south doorway remaining, Perpendicular style, neo-Decorated style chancel and vestry. 3-stage tower has pointed arched west door in moulded and hollow-chamfered surround with hood mould and stops, 3-light Perpendicular window above with cusped heads and hood mould, 2nd stage has south lancet with cusped head and hood mould, 3rd stage has 2-light bell-opening to each side with Somerset tracery, pointed arched heads and hood mould; plinth, set-back weathered buttresses, string courses, gargoyles to top string, parapet with blank arcading, diagonal shafts to centre of sides and square pinnacles at corners; south-east stair turret has lancets, embattled parapet with quatrefoil frieze, ribbed spirelet with cockerel weathervane. 2-bay nave has to north 3-light Perpendicular window with hood mould and narrow 2-light window with cusped heads in Decorated style, set in rectangular surround with masonry infilling upper part, rubble lean-to in centre with double Roman tiled roof; hollow-chamfered eaves cornice, rainwater head dated 1897, dressed stone quoins and stone ridge coping; south elevation has similar 3-light window and remains of memorial tablet to left, C19 restoration of 3-light Perpendicular window to right and C18 memorial tablet with bolection-moulded architrave, scallop- shell frieze and cornice. Off-centre gabled porch has pointed arched door with moulded and hollow-chamfered surround and hood mould, late C19 doors. 2-bay chancel has south west stair turret with gabletted top, weathered buttresses and diagonal buttresses, two 2-light south windows with reticulated tracery and stopped hood moulds, similar larger 3-light east window, trefoil in gable and small pinnacles to sides-of verges. 2-bay vestry has two 2-light east windows with trefoil heads and hood mould, similar 2-light window to north and west, segmental-headed west door. Interior: tower has C19 ceiling with moulded ribs, narrow door with chamfered depressed 4-centred arch to tower, tall pointed arch to nave with onebroad wave-mould and 2 inner narrow mouldings. Nave has 5-bay wagon roof, moulded principals rising from head corbels with large gold-painted bosses along moulded ridge purlin; north wall has remains of arched recess below window to east, possibly former site of tomb, north west window has chamfered rere-arch, north east and south west windows have moulded surrounds; inner segmental head to south door, upper part filled with Perpendicular tracery and C19 doors, door has outer surround of 2 narrow wave-moulds and hollow chamfer, 4-centred arch, stone benches to sides of porch and C19 roof of common rafters and collars. Tall pointed chancel arch with panelled soffit, chancel has ceiled 4-bay roof, moulded ribs with bosses at intersections, brattished wall-plate; stone newel stair to south west leading to gallery over screen, piscina in east wall, segmental-headed arch with wave-mouldings to vestry; vestry has similar 3-bay ceiled roof. Fittings: font in nave has circular bowl on circular stem, close early C16 tracery on the bowl and small naively-carved demi-figures, fined carved polygonal wooden cover; screen across chancel arch, attributed to Pugin (probably the younger) has 4-light divisions, flamboyant tracery, coving with ribs, angel- figures against the main posts; pair of late C17/early C18 sanctuary chairs in chancel with scrolled carving; C19 panelled wooden reredos; late C19 stone tablet in vestry recording rectors. Monuments all re-set in vestry, marble tablet with urn, to John Hellier, 1795; marble tablet with draped urn and pediment, to James Hellier, 1776; C19 oval stone tablet with wreath, to Hellier family, date illegible; marble tablet, to Henry Hellier, 1775; stone tablet with scrolled pediment, to Thomas Beale, 1704; C19 brass plate recording members of Hellier family. Mid C19 east window has stained glass in memory of Hellier family. (Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.