You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32987  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Bassingham

IoE Number: 32987
Location: OLD RECTORY,
  NEMPNETT THRUBWELL, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Peter Bassingham
Date Photographed: 01 June 2002
Date listed: 04 December 1986
Date of last amendment: 04 December 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 55 NWNEMPNETT THRUBWELL C.P.5/92Old RectoryII

ST 55 NW NEMPNETT THRUBWELL C.P. 5/92 Old Rectory II Rectory, now house. Dated 1860 over front door, with some later alterations and C20 repairs. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with stone dressings and decorative brick banding, roof of shaped slates with raised coped verges, crestings and gable stacks, outhouse with triple Roman tiled roof. Asymmetrical Gothic style, in the manner of Butterfield's contemporary designs. Front of 2 storeys and 4 bays; gable end to left has shallow external stack with buttress; 2nd bay has gabled wooden porch with pierced bargeboards, pointed arched chamfered door opening with date on banner above, pointed segmental-headed door with decorative strap hinges, 8-pane sash above in chamfered architrave; 3rd and 4th bays have ground floor 2-light window of 4 panes each light with slender shaft as mullion, pointed arched limestone surround with brick banding and quatrefoil above; first floor has two 8-pane sashes, to left with similar pointed arched head and quatrefoil, steeply pointed gable above with brick banding and 2 quatrefoils; paired brick banding across whole facade at mid-ground and first floor level. Left return has gable end projecting to left with ground floor 3-light window with 4-pane sash each light, brick and limestone relieving arch, paired 8-pane sash above with pointed arch above in brick and limestone, in gable a 2-light trefoil- headed with brick relieving arch and paired limestone string courses, weathervane; to right, ground floor has canted bay with plate-glass sashes, lowered as door to left, similar paired 8-pane sashes at first floor without arch over; paired brick and limestone string courses across whole facade. Right return has paired strings returned, first floor right has 8-pane sash, trefoil-headed lancet in gable end with brick relieving arch and string course, blind circle above with brick relieving arch; attached to right, a single storey outhouse with triple Roman tiled roof and garage doors. Rear has 2-storey block to left with pitched roof with ground floor former 8-pane sash replaced by metal-framed light, 8-pane sash at first floor; gabled rear wing has ground floor 3-pane sash with margin glazing, brick and limestone pointed relieving arch, first floor has paired 8-pane sash with similar double relieving arch, paired string course at ground and first floor level, 4-pane lancet in gable end with pointed brick arch; to right, 3-pane light at ground floor and tall mullion and transom window at first floor (stair light) with trefoil heads to lights and glazed circle in upper section, brick relieving arch; external stack rising into gable to right with brick pointed arch over recessed circle at top, paired string courses. Interior: rooms to left have robust vine leaf and bunch of grapes cornices, front left has fine fireplace with marble colonnettes to sides, and tiling; room to front right has panelling said to have come from Bishop's Palace at Wells c.1870, narrower similar cornice. Rectory formerly had canopied verandah at first floor, shown in photograph c.1910. A fine example of an intact mid-Victorian rectory.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.