You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33015  

Print Page



© Dr Neil Bentham

IoE Number: 33015
Location: STANTON WICK FARMHOUSE,
  STANTON DREW, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Dr Neil Bentham
Date Photographed: 10 April 2005
Date listed: 04 December 1986
Date of last amendment: 04 December 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 66 SWSTANTON DREW C.P.STANTON WICK4/118Stanton Wick FarmhouseII

ST 66 SW STANTON DREW C.P. STANTON WICK 4/118 Stanton Wick Farmhouse II Farmhouse. Dated 1666, with later additions to rear, early C18 and C19 internal alterations and C20 alterations. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with stone dressings, some sandstone rubble, partly rendered, double Roman tiled roofs with raised coped verges and brick gable stacks. L-plan with attached rear additions. 2½ storeys and 1:2:1 windows, centre 2 bays broken forward as combined porch and stair turret with gable; ground and first floor left and right have C20 metal casements, centre bays have to left 3-centred arched door opening, ovolo-moulded, fine inner door, studded with moulded fillets, moulded and stopped frame and lintel; to right, 2-light casement with stone ovolo mullion, 2 similar casements at first floor, datestone with pediment and sundial above, smaller similar casement with hood mould in gable, continuous string courses raised over lintels of ground and first floor windows; formerly wider windows to outer bays. Left return has 2-light casement with ovolo mullion and hood mould at attic; straight joint to lower 2-storey rear wing, with ground floor 4-light ovolo-moulded casement with hood mould and 2 metal casements at first floor; straight joint to single storey rear wing of C19 with 2 metal casements. Right return has similar casement and blocked single light at attic; rear wing has lean-to with glazed door, blocked window at first floor, attached single storey outbuilding with single ovolo- moulded light and hood mould. Rear has ground floor 2-light ovolo-moulded casement with hood mould, 2 metal casements and blocked window at first floor (Possibly former cross windows). Interior: central entrance hall has one moulded beam, one chamfered and stopped, C19 open-well stair, front left room completely panelled, early C18, with heavy plaster cornice and dado rail, front right room only inner wall panelled. At first floor landing, cupboard door with cock's head hinges, segmental-headed door to first floor, room to left has bolection-moulded stone fireplace and similar moulding to door frame to rear wing, chamfered and stopped beams, rear wing has panelling on east wall only; similar door to attic stair. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958. Williams, E.H.D. : unpublished survey, 1981. RCHM).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.