© Mr Mark Snowdon ARPS
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, HIGH GREEN
BROMPTON, HAMBLETON, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Mr Mark Snowdon ARPS
30 June 2000
31 March 1970
Date of last amendment:
31 March 1970
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SE 3696-3796 BROMPTON HIGH GREEN
12/16 Church of St Thomas
Church. C12, C14 and C15, restoration in 1868. Coursed squared stone and
ashlar, graduated Welsh slate roofs. C12-C14 nave with north aisle, partly
enclosed C15 south west tower to centre bay of nave, C14 chancel, C19 north
vestry. South-west tower: 3 stages, offset diagonal buttresses to first
stage. Plinth. Board south door in chamfered basket-arched surround with
hoodmould and small niche above. Projection for staircase to east side.
Chamfered band, second stage, clock faces to east and west sides, chamfered
band. Chamfered, cusped 2-light flat-head belfry openings. Band, embattled
parapet with crocketed pinnacles to each corner. Pyramidal roof with flag
pole. Nave: 3 bays, plinth, offset diagonal buttress to west, offset angle
buttress to east. To left a 3-light reticulated traceried flat-headed
window, to right similar window of 4 lights. Moulded copings to parapet.
Stone copings, gable crosses. North aisle: similar windows to nave.
Blocked chamfered pointed C13 door. Similar pointed 2-light window to west.
Nave has large 4-light pointed reticulated traceried west window with
hoodmould. Chancel: one bay. Offset diagonal buttress to east end. To
south central priests' doorway in pointed chamfered surround. To left a
small cusped 1-light pointed-arched window. To right a 2-light chamfered,
flat-headed window, with Perpendicular tracery. Pointed east window of 3
lights with flowing tracery and hoodmould, Decorated in style. Plain
chamfered parapet, stone coping. Gable cross. North vestry with 3-light
arched east window. All windows C19. Interior: 4-bay C12 north arcade
raised in C14, 2 circular piers with octagonal abaci, one with a waterleaf
motif, C14 central pier octagonal with moulded cap, stepped round arches.
Double-chamfered pointed chancel arch. Stained-glass west window by Kempe,
after 1886. Sculpture: 3 good hogback tombstones, all with bears sitting up
at the ends and facing one another, with Celtic strap motifs between. An
Anglo-Danish cross shaft with head. Similar cross, C9 in the nave.