You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33388  

Print Page



© Mr Ron Flynn

IoE Number: 33388
Location: PARISH CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, THE GREEN
  LOCKING, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Ron Flynn
Date Photographed: 16 May 2002
Date listed: 09 February 1961
Date of last amendment: 09 February 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 35 NELOCKINGTHE GREEN4/49Parish Church of St. Augustine9.2.61-II*

ST 35 NE LOCKING THE GREEN 4/49 Parish Church of St. Augustine 9.2.61 - II* Parish church (Anglican). Late C14/early C15, 1814/16, 1833, some later restoration. Rubble, mainly rendered, plinths brought to courses, ashlar buttresses, freestone dressings, slate roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, south porch, chancel, north vestry. 3 stage Perpendicular tower, diagonal buttresses with weathered setbacks, polygonal south east stair turret with octagonal cone cap surmounted by ball finial and weathervane; first stage has west door, richly moulded arch between attached crocketed shafts and 3 light window under heavily moulded dripmould with head stops, one grotesque, which rises into second stage; all sides of second stage have 2 light blank windows under moulded drip which is part of string under next stage; third stage has paired 2 light belfry windows with outer lights blank between attached shafts which rise from string below; trefoil pierced parapet between crocketed pinnacles. Nave and north aisle of 1814/16; 3 bays, 3 northern 3 light flat pointed windows with flat Rickmanesque tracery. Plain gabled south porch has corbelled, coped raised verges, as nave. 2 bay chancel of 1833; to south two 2 light windows with square heads under drips on either side of moulded pointed priest's door under dripmould with decorated stops; diagonal buttresses with date; 2 light pointed east window, slit window above; all chancel tracery as (copy of?) nave. Later lean-to vestry in return of chancel and north aisle; above which on east end of north aisle a lead hopper head which reads: CH.WARD/CHAS.KNOWLES BUILDER/1814/R.D. CHALLEN GER/PLUMBER. Interior; triple chamfered tower arch; stone screen with 4 cusped panels and cusped inner west door of 1816; 2 Tuscan columns on tall octagonal plinths between nave and north aisle; moulded chancel arch of 3 hollow waves; chancel has windows and doors as described above and a north vestry door and embattled wallplate; there is also ornate and varied panelling in chancel of C20 date. Fittings; erpendicular stone pulpit with 2 light bays with tracery between crocketed finials, on octagonal shaft which corbels out twice; above quatrefoil frieze and foliate cornice; gaudily painted. Cll/C12 font, square, 3 sides have ornate strapwork, south only chevron, at each corner figures whose outstretched arms meet; C19 work has damaged heads and added 4 neo-Romanesque shafts at corners and a massive central shaft; stands on plain plinth in tower. 5 brass chandeliers of 2 tiers. Porch contains oak beam from belfry which reads: John Plumley Gent/Lord of the Man. 1631. (Sources: N. Pevsner Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958; D. Wilson : Locking Church 1971).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.