You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33395  

Print Page



©  Mike Bedingfield LRPS

IoE Number: 33395
Location: PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
  LOXTON, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mike Bedingfield LRPS
Date Photographed: 10 September 2000
Date listed: 09 February 1961
Date of last amendment: 09 February 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 35 NELOXTONCHURCH LANE, Loxton4/56Parish Church of St Andrew9.2.61II*

ST 35 NE LOXTON CHURCH LANE, Loxton 4/56 Parish Church of St Andrew 9.2.61 II* Parish church (Anglican). C11 origins, C13 - C15, early C2O restoration and extension. All rendered rubble and plain clay tile roof apart from organ chamber and vestry of snecked rubble and slate roof. Nave and chancel, north chapel, south porch tower, south vestry and organ chamber. Nave and chancel; 3 light Perpendicular west window under slight drip mould; to north a restored 2 light Pecorated window and a square head 2 light window under a dripmould; Between adjacent to a C2O buttress is blocked north door with segmental head; at north east is rood stair in lean-to turret; at south a single lancet; chancel, under same roof has a 3 light east window, restored in 1913; north chapel; gabled with cusped trefoiled east window; to north a 2 light Perpendicular window; to south a small cusped window; small C20 lean-to boiler shed; single stage embattled south tower, low buttresses only at outer corners, at east and west there is a weathered set back about halfway up; plain slit windows to bell chamber; south organ chamber and vestry, dated 1926, to south a weathered buttress separates a priest's door with shouldered jambs and 2 light window above from a small cusped 3 light window; east has a 2 light window and a quatrefoil above; consecration cross and date on quoins. Interior; nave and chancel; cusped rear arch to south lancet; wagon roof on angel corbels of 1900; much restored and moved Perpendicular rood screen; chancel panelled and new reredos with excellent detail in 1913 at same time as nave stripped of plaster and new stone floor inserted; strange flat arches pierce nave and chancel wall for vestry and organ chamber; south tower porch; south doorway has damaged remnant, inner arch of C11/C12 arch; segmental headed arch has simple mould with pellet decoration above; empty niche above that; simple square squint through great depth of nave wall for view of chancel. Fittings; octagonal C14 font with Jacobean hood; Perpendicular pulpit of the local school, half octagon, 2 traceried lights per side divided by buttresses with free standing finials, foliate frieze and cornice above, all carried on trumpet foot on human corbel. (Source: N. Pevsner : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.